1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My newest editions

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by JackieK318, Aug 30, 2007.

1. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    I lent one of my farm friend my guineahen to catch her guineacock. Well, no luck on catching her guy - she thinks a fox got him. [​IMG] Today she brings back my hen and a pair her daughter picked up for me at the swap! I'm so excited! They're quarantined right now (always ALWAYS ALWAYS quarantine new birds and check for illness and mites). I'll get to really spend some time with them this weekend.

My hen, on a good note, put herself in the coop tonight like she'd never been gone. What a good girl!

2. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Too bad about the male guinea, but what a great return! Give that hen a special treat (and the newcomers, too). [​IMG]

3. JackieK318

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    They're so big it almost scares me to get near them as I'm not sure how human friendly they are yet. I put food and water out for them and called them, but they didn't come. They just looked at me and made what I call their "video game noises". They were roosting on the recycle bin all night, so I know their eco-friendly... [​IMG] Now I just have to wipe the poop off of the rinsed recyclables!

4. CtlisencedArborist

CtlisencedArborist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Eastford,Ct
    Ginnies scare me also,and they like to fly into the trees and not come down,EVER!Lol,yes always quarintene.How long before you stop and add to your flock?How far away do you keep them?Just asking fyi and mine![​IMG]

5. JackieK318

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    I'm going to keep them locked up for a month. I have them in the garage, but am going to let them out in a run in the front yard in the evenings. They kept banging their heads on the cage my friend brought them in, so I worry about them being in the run all day. The garage is about 20 feet from the closest point the flock comes to. I might dust the guineas for good measure.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  6. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    What kind of guineas are you talking about being so big.. are they Jumbos?? My dad has 2 guineas and my chickens are as big as they are..

7. JackieK318

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    My guineas are 16 weeks, so these guys are huge in comparison. They're probably not that large. DH went down to the garage and said, "Are you sure they're not turkeys?"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by