MY NEWEST POLISH HENS

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by stano40, May 2, 2009.

1. stano40

stano40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Southern Maine
    My new girls are 3 white polish hens and 2 buff polish hens.

The first couple of days the hens were in their new (temporary) home taught me what improvements had to be done to their house.

What I used was a large dog crate that was given to me free. I thought this would make a good temporary type home/brooder for these girls.

Pictured is the improvements I've done this morning after I swept up all the shavings and hay I gave them yesterday off the floor. My wife Michelle cleaned them all out and put in fresh stuff for them. These guys are a riot to watch when they start scratching around for things.

Put a couple of boards under the water dish to raise it enough so they won't get shaving or hay into it. Well, almost not get any in it.

I put in 8" boards on the side to hold back the flood of shaving and hay. Also added a perch from a tree that I cut down recently. They seem to like that a lot. They jump on the perch and then jump to the platform of hay to lay down. Still kept their tray of hay in the back of the coop because they like being in their to go to sleep. Reminds them of home I guess.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

bob

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    They are adorable!! [​IMG]

3. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    [​IMG]

me want polish!

4. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    Put a couple of boards under the water dish to raise it enough so they won't get shaving or hay into it. Well, almost not get any in it.

I swear, that is the biggest problem I face, keeping shavings and poop out of water and feed when they are small. I found that the styrofoam coffee cups from the convinience store fit on pint sized jars for the water and food, and it keeps them from perching on top of them.

A coffee can with the plastic lid on and something to weight it down on the inside works when you move up to the quart size.

We searched for about a week for my 2 quart crock pot insert, till hubby found it in the pole barn. We had put it in a brooder, the plastic feeder with a jar fit right inside it. [​IMG]

Cheri​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by