My newest project! Chicken yard

Kfults

Songster
Jun 12, 2018
Southwest Louisiana
so I have 11 pullets and 1 cockerel, we have a 10x12 barn and shaded 12x12 secure run for them. Technically enough space, but..... the run seems like a prison yard LOL. We have 5 acres but share it with family ( grandparents, daughter and brother n law all have homes on the land) No one wants free range chickens. I get it. So I used materials I had- t posts and chicken wire to make a 40x40 yard to let them out into when I am out working in garden in cool of morning and evening. I covered with bird netting to keep them in and overhead hawks out. I am planting shrubs ( chicken friendly kind) and protecting them with stone. A kiddie pool surrounded by decorative grass to make a shallow wading pond. Bird feeder with treats. I want it to be like a little garden. I have left over 1/2 inch broadcloth ( wasn’t enough to use for fencing) but going to make inside apron to secure bottom of yard from diggers and protect some of the grass so they will have grass growing through to eat when they scratch the rest to dirt. I hope to create some boxes with wire on top to grow some clover and dandelion in fornthen to munch on as it grows through the wire. I plan to create wooden structures from scraps for them to perch and climb on. My husband is convinced I have lost my mind over the chickens! LOL I had to retire due to rheumatoid arthritis and so he is supportive because it gets me moving around and out of the house more. I know it is not predator proof, I plan to allow them to out when I can be out and about to keep a watchful eye, they have a secure run with I am not home or can’t watch. Any other ideas???

Sounds like you're going to have some happy chickens~! For covered runs that are out in the open with no shade I like the idea of having vines to cover to top/sides for some parts of the run.. I would make sure they're hardy though (depending on where you live) Something like this
9af10df408b8f795072cfc2a9799e888.jpg

Sounds like you're going to have some happy chickens~! For covered runs that are out in the open with no shade I like the idea of having vines to cover to top/sides for some parts of the run.. I would make sure they're hardy though (depending on where you live) Something like this
View attachment 1475418
That looks really nice, will have to do something like that. It gets 80% shade until late afternoon and then more shade in the evening. It would look nice with vining flowers

So I used materials I had- t posts and chicken wire to make a 40x40 yard to let them out into when I am out working in garden in cool of morning and evening. I covered with bird netting to keep them in and overhead hawks out.
Sounds pretty amazing!
Building for chickens is very therapeutic.
Pics Please?

I have left over 1/2 inch broadcloth
Do you mean hardware cloth?

A kiddie pool surrounded by decorative grass to make a shallow wading pond. Bird feeder with treats.
Not sure either of these is a good idea.
Any pool will have to be dumped and rinsed regularly, kiddie pools can be hard to dump.
Maybe a smaller vessel for wading on hot days?
Treats should be kept to a minimum and IMO are more valuable if doled out by keeper.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-7-21_17-47-34.png

Sounds pretty amazing!
Building for chickens is very therapeutic.
Pics Please?

Do you mean hardware cloth?

Not sure either of these is a good idea.
Any pool will have to be dumped and rinsed regularly, kiddie pools can be hard to dump.
Maybe a smaller vessel for wading on hot days?
Treats should be kept to a minimum and IMO are more valuable if doled out by keeper.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
View attachment 1476953
Yes I meant hardware cloth.
I will post pics when done, I live in southwest Louisiana. I will probably put up the bird feeder and put a little of their feed in it. ( instead of treats ) I like to have a few feed areas, one in coup, one in run and then somewhere in yard. Makes sure a bully doesn’t keep another hen from eating. I also have multiple water stations. The size kiddie pool is small enough to be dumped by hand and won’t be too deep. My brother n law discouraged me from planting shrubs or ornamental grass in yard- said they would just eat it all clean..... so I am still debating. Was hoping with all the grass they wouldn’t eat my shrubs clean.

My brother n law discouraged me from planting shrubs or ornamental grass in yard- said they would just eat it all clean..... so I am still debating. Was hoping with all the grass they wouldn’t eat my shrubs clean.
You might be able to fence them off until well established...ornamental grasses are pretty tough.

Back
Top Bottom