My newly hatched children

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dodgersmomma, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Dodgersmomma

Dodgersmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Ok so to start, I made and incubater with a desk lamp (that thing gets HOT) and a box. It was my first time hatching eggs so the end results are kinda sad. Only 1 out of the 22 eggs ended up hatching. When he hatched he was very lonely. So I decided to get some chicks from a friend. She told me about her Cochin chicks that were about a week and a half old (mine is only a week). Well I guess my question is, do different breeds have different kinds of feather lengths? My baby (Dominque x sex-link) had all the same length feathers on his wing so I knew it was a male but these ones are different, the first three feathers are long and the rest are short. Does this mean anything? I will try to post picture if that will help because I know it sounds confusing. Please help. My mom said if any of them besides mine is a rooster they have to go to auction so I need to know.

2 are Cochin, 2 are mix, and then I have mine

2. crazygoatlady915

crazygoatlady915 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Idaho
    I think that they will be fine! I tossed in 10 day olds with 2, two-weekers. Actually, it was kinda funny because the big girls cowered in a tiny corner, and let the babies rule the brooder! I think he/she will be alright, and happy to have some company!

3. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Yes, differnent breeds can feather in differently.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by