My non laying chook sits on others eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Juzzy, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Juzzy

Juzzy New Egg

Feb 17, 2017
    PEARCEDALE
    Hi All, i'm new on the forum [​IMG] i have 2 fairly new chooks Doris and Fomo ....Doris is about 3 but doesnt lay, Fomo lays eggs but then Doris sits on them...whats that all about?

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What breed is Doris? Does she sit on the eggs long enough to hatch them.? If you have a rooster the eggs should be fertile.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. I have a demon broody that will happily sit on another chickens' egg even when she is not broody - she's just hard wired that way.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best
    CT

4. Juzzy

Juzzy New Egg

Feb 17, 2017
    PEARCEDALE
    Both of them are isa browns i didnt let her sit on it too long but wondered if its ok to let her in the future

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Does she constantly exhibit this behaviour, or is she showing signs of being broody (sitting in a nest, only getting up once or twice per day and "growling" at you if you approach her?)

If she is indeed broody, and if the eggs are fertile and you want chicks, then fine. Not sure that ISA browns are renown for their broodiness so don't be too surprised if she does not sit until hatch (particularly if her behaviour is something she exhibits all the time). Still no harm in trying.

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Juzzy, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! Best wishes and thanks for joining us!

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Juzzy [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens! Thanks for joining, I'm sure you'll love it here! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by