My nzw rabbit had her babys

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mamato3, Dec 13, 2008.

1. mamato3

mamato3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    She had them on the wire no hair pulling no nest building nothing She had 5 lost 1 i tried to save them but one was to far gone. So i built her nest and put a heat lamp over it hopefully she figures out how to be a mommy soon. And of course there is a winter storm blowing in tomorrow. She a 2 time mom lost her first litter not sure why the owner sold her to me told me she lost them. Probably had them on the wire and they died before she knew.

2. CrimsonRose

CrimsonRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    OH wow I hope she does ok... I've found out some bunnies are just not good moms no matter how hard you try to get them to be...

We have a Cal. Rabbit that does this... We had to stop breading her... Most newborn bunnies won't make it without a mom to care for them... I've tried countless times to hand feed bunnies that the mom neglected and only got them to live about a week... [​IMG]

You can tell that they will be a good mom if they prepare for the babies... before giving birth they pull out fur to make a nest... having her babies on wire isn't a real good sign... but maybe with the heat lamp it will encourage her to hop in the nest to get warm... Then the babies can just grab a quick snack before she notices...

Just so you know most rabbit moms will only get in the nest a few times a day... they don't stay in the nest and snuggle like most animals... so unless you really keep an eye on her it will be hard to tell if she is feeding them or not...

Big hugs and best wishes!!! [​IMG]

3. mamato3

mamato3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    SWMissouri
    well i thought she was done got up at 6 this morning and she had 4 more 3 dead 1 alive but 1 dead in the nest box so a total of 8 with only 4 alive there tummys look small im not sure she is feeding them. Guess i will find out in a day or 2 if she is not feeding them

4. CrimsonRose

CrimsonRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry.... Hopefully the rest will make it...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by