My odd colored Marans all grown up

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Katy, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Here's a picture of the odd colored Marans that I hatched last winter. He's all grown up now. [​IMG]

2. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    What did you breed together to produce that, and more importantly what colored eggs do they produce. If you get chocolate colored eggs, I'd say make some more!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Now that's just bizarre. Looks like a Delaware with the wrong color legs. When Delawares were created, they came from a sport somehow. Is yours one of those "sport Marans"? Just wild!

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Looks more like a delaware to me.....

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

He's from the same bunch of cuckoo Marans that I've been hatching from for the last several years. Just one of those odd flukes that happens I guess. Never happened before or since. I think he's pretty tho. I know he resembles a Deleware, but I've never had any of those and the only mature roo was my cuckoo Marans.

6. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Katy,

I knew he would be gorgeous all grown up! What a handsome boy! Are you using him in your hatching flock?

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

He's in with my mixed laying flock right now.

8. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Boy. I sure would have guessed Delaware. He looks just like my guys in feather coloration.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd like to get him a small pen set up with a couple of my Marans hens so I could see what his offspring will be colored like. That will have to be a project for the fall tho after summer farm work slows down a little. I wish I knew which Marans hen he was out of. I know the roo he came from.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  10. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    One of my Marans roos is bleached out like that as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by