My odd little flock - what breed and gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LauraCB, Nov 1, 2015.

1. LauraCB

LauraCB New Egg

Jun 14, 2015
    I'm hoping you can help me. I had five eggs from a petting farm last May, and hatched five, of which three survived. The survivors are now 21 weeks old today, and I have no idea what they are! None have crowed or laid an egg as yet.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. akaruby

akaruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2015
    Southern Tier, NY
    The top picture looks like a frizzle of some kind. The next one is a naked neck Turken. The black one is a Cochin. All really cute :)

1 person likes this.
  3. LauraCB

LauraCB New Egg

Jun 14, 2015
    Thank you! I had expected to be eating eggs by now, but they don't seem to want to oblige!

None seem to be behaving like a cockerel, although the paler ones are both braver than the black one. They are always first to climb or explore something new.

Currently they are all sat at the back door tapping[​IMG]
    to come in. I wonder if I took that imprinting thing too seriously :rolleyes::lol:

4. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Ha-ha, that's cute! Peeking at you :D

X2 on breeds. They also all look like pullets :)

Silkies take a while to reach maturity; might be 6 months old before you get eggs. The Cochin will be earlier, probably closer to 20 weeks. I'm not sure in the Turken; I've never had those, but I think they were around 20 weeks too from what I've read.

An adorable flock! :)

Edit* fixing math :p

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  5. LauraCB

LauraCB New Egg

Jun 14, 2015
    Thank you! I'd been worried that the frizzle was a cockerel due to the comb being bigger than the rest,

6. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

If she were younger, I would have waited on calling her a pullet... But at 21 weeks, the comb she does have is a light pink, where a cockerel at 21 weeks would gave a bright red comb. She is also missing the wattles, crest, and tail of a cockerel ;)

As they approach lay, their combs will darken and turn deep red, and they will start to "squat", which my kids like to call " bowing", because that's kinda what it looks like :)

The banty Cochin should be getting really close; her comb is nice and red :)

7. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Hi, [​IMG]
    What a neat combination of birds you have. Neat you got the Turken. It's really a chicken even tho
    it looks like a combination of turkey and chicken. Your little flock will be a real conversation starter!
    Best,
    Karen

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    turken (also called naked neck), frizzle and black cochin - pullets

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by