??? my OEG roos

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bisqit&Gravy, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Bisqit&Gravy

Bisqit&Gravy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Ok, I am fed up with these local people where I live that have been asking about my banty roos. These are the 2 OEG I hatched. I'm not going to get into what everyone said when they found out what breed they were and that they were both roos.
    I'll just say, it made me mad b/c my babies ain't going to that. I went and yanked every flyer down.

Since they were hatched and raised together, would they be able to stay together? They are like 10-11 wks old and very attached to eachother. When I get one out the other goes crazy until they are both in my lap.
    If they can, how big of a pen would they need? Would it just need to be them in a pen?

2. Ohiostatfan

Ohiostatfan Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Im interested to see what you get as replies. We have some 5week old OEG's standard size and I seem to have a LOT of roos..... I'm wondering if they are free range if they'll do ok. I'm so afraid to try and rehome them for fear of how they'll end up [​IMG]

~Bridget

3. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    They shouldn't become aggressive if given enough space. Fighters keep them cooped up 24-7 in close courters with other males. They push the birds together until they are mean. They also have training techniques with some type of trigger ( a weaker bird normally). Birds aren't normally like that just as dogs aren't mean until deprived or abused. If given hens they may get territorial but not to the point of killing. Fighters also look for naturally aggressive birds.
    Its wrong of the neighbors to assume such a thing. Your boys sound good natured. I wouldn't worry about it.
    If your re-homing birds this is the site for it. I honestly believe that the people on this site are here for love of poultry.
    Hope that helps. [​IMG]

4. Bisqit&Gravy

Mar 14, 2008
    That makes me feel better about keeping them. I really doubt I'll add hens with them and will make them an area away from my others.

As for the local people were I live that have seen my flyers, several thought they were too friendly??? That made me think something not good. I took them away from one guy who was roughly handling them.
    Last weekend, I drove around trying to find yard sales out here. I lost count of how many houses I saw lots of roosters in tee tiny pens. Those are probably fighters huh?

I had them listed on here a week or two ago.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  5. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Yeah, those are probably fighters. We have a couple guys around here that raise them. I know because i thought the rooster were pretty and asked about getting one. They guy said that i didn't want them because they'd kill my hens. Since then i've researched the whole deal. Its really a shame because OEG are such an attractive breed.

6. Bisqit&Gravy

Mar 14, 2008
    It is a shame and sad. There are everywhere out here on the back roads.

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    old english game birds are pugnaciouse by nature,,,,but as long as they grew up together they should be fine,,,,as long as you dont add females,,,,
    whats with the flyers? not clear what you are talking about

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  8. Bisqit&Gravy

Mar 14, 2008
    I had them listed on here about 2 weeks ago. No one was interested so I put up flyers at the post office, one grocery store and a gas station that has bulletin boards. I've seen all kind of chickens on the boards at all those places so thought I'd try.
    I didn't put on it what breed just said bantam chickens.

I think I give up and will just keep them unless I find someone. Was gonna go to the AL chickenstock meet-up but with gas so high, I can't afford to drive that far and no one be interested.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  9. Ohiostatfan

Ohiostatfan Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:That makes ME feel better.....but you know, I should know that. LOL we own two "bully breed" dogs, not Pitts, but one Pit mix, and one American Bulldog, and they are NOT agressive toward people other dogs, etc. Of course we've never tried to MAKE them that way, nor do we with the birds.

Right now in my pen of mixed sex OEG's with one Andalusian I have no squabbling, and in fact my Andi Roo, and one OEG roo are best pals...LOL

~Bridget

10. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Be careful keeping roos together, even ones that grow up with each other.I have some game chickens and even though they free ranged during the day, the 1 year old roo kicked his 6 year old dads butt. They had been together since the little guy hatched. I've tried to keep brothers together in the past and it never went well either. But I have very scrappy birds. Most of mine lived on the streets of Key West before I caught them and brought them to Ga with me. The old time Cubans there bred small,hardy, and aggressive birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by