My OEGB may be broody..

EricShane

Songster
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
SouthWestern Ohio
She is so tiny, about the size of a Pigeon.. and I havent seen her for the past couple of days.. and me and my brother had been talking about it looked like we havent seen her laying her little eggs for a few days either.. Today, while I was out there.. I got to looking around for her never could find her for a while.. then a few minutes later I heard some clucking and I turned around and she was coming out of one of the old Horse Stalls in the barn.. so I ran over there, and behind some buckets there was a nest of 5 eggs.. there was a sixth but it looks like it had been kicked out, so I reached down to feel them and they all felt kinda warm, except for the kicked out one which was cold.. But heres my thing, there are 5 eggs in the nest, 3 of them are hers.. 2 of them are from one of the Other normal size Bantams (so the 2 eggs are bigger) to me, it looks like maybe too many eggs for her to sit on.. Should I maybe take one or two out?

I usually tell people that a hen can sit on about 12 eggs of the same size they lay, but OEG are so tiny, I can see your dilemma! Hens kind've flatten out over the nest, so I think those 5 are fine. Just mark them with a Sharpie so you can make sure to remove any new ones that other bantam might lay. Congrats on your broody! I love broodies
love.gif

I know!! Im so Excited! Ive wanted my girls to go broody for 2 years!!!!!! lol.. So just a couple days ago, after Vast Searching I finally bought 2 silkie hens that someone sold me, in hopes that they would go broody because I hear they do so often.. and now, Im Really Really Hoping she has gone broody!!!

My Silkies are very broody! I have 10 hens and at any given time I have 1/3 to 1/2 of my flock broody at once. One of my hens went broody a few days ago and the last batch she hatched out are only 5 weeks old!
ep.gif
Right now she's sitting on golf balls, but I'll probably give her Silkie eggs.

How old is you oegb? I have one oegb pullet and some hatchlings and I'm hoping they turn out to be as broody as the Silkies.

Back
Top Bottom