1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Official Grocery Store Eggs Thread-*With PICS!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Xero, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Xero

Xero Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2009
    I played around with incubating some lizard eggs and a couple of gecko eggs in the past but this was my first attempt at incubating and hatching chicken eggs myself. I've witnessed other people hatching their chicken eggs so I wasn't completely clueless and I haunted this forum for a good 2-3 weeks before my own attempt.

INCUBATOR

My incubator was a still air styrofoam box. I could have added a fan (which I will next time) but was lazy and couldn't find a spare adapter at the time. The complete unit currently consists of box, dimmer switch, hot water heater thermostat, lamp kit with 110watt light bulb, hardware cloth raised platform, water dish under hardware cloth, tin foil here and there for various reasons, tape, 3 thermometers (one I modified into a fake egg) and if I'm forgetting something I'll just edit this later. Below is a pic of my incubator up and running with eggs.
    [​IMG]

Assembly of my incubator took a good 30 minutes which was mainly me twisting and bending the hardware cloth the way I wanted. The other aspects didn't take very long at all. Mounting the dimmer switch took all of 3 mins and placing the thermostat took a good 5 mins. After it was built I got it running and spent the next week tweaking it until it was as perfect as I could get it. The temps according to my egg thermometer were usually 98 (low) to 100. I got the temp as tight as possible and saw 99.5-9 consistently (with the egg in the middle of the bator) and figured I was ready to try out some eggs. * As a side note-the humidity in my house is consistently 45-50 so I didn't worry with the humidity.

EGGS

I searched my area for an organic health food store. We only have 2 in my area. When I arrived at the store I almost thought they didn't have any eggs but it turned out they only had one type of egg from one supplier. I was delighted that the box had fertile written right on it. The eggs cost around $3.25. I took them home and let them sit for several hours so they could warm up. Before placing them in the incubator I put an X on one side and an O on the other to use as turning markers. This was when I got the bright idea to add one of my own eggs from a cuckoo maran hen and my white leghorn rooster.

The half of the bator near the light ran a bit hot (102-3 air temp) and the corners on the other side ran around 98-99. So I had the eggs clustered around the middle. I turned the eggs 3 times a day. I candled at day 8 and discovered 4 of the store eggs were either infertile or failed to develop. My cuckoo horn egg was also developing. The ones that were definitely fertile I marked with a line on the X side. I had a couple of iffy ones but they ended up fertile. One egg stopped developing sometime after day 14. One stopped developing around day 16 (I'm guessing based on embryo size). So out of 12 eggs I'm down to 6. With my cuckoo horn the total is 7. I go on lockdown with 7 eggs.

HATCHING

This last Sunday the first egg dent appeared. So I let it be and waited and waited. Anyway, this is the result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These guys just came out today. I had to remove the older chicks because they were picking on my cuckoo horn that was laying around exhausted still half in his bloody shell. I think he was getting way too big for his egg.

[​IMG]

Every chick has a different look to it. I have a yellow down chick with a tiny black spot on its back, a yellow- orange chick, a light yellow (almost white) with big black spots chick, a pretty black chick with a red/brown face, and one wet goopy chick who is dark with some white tips on his wings but I can't tell the colors. My cuckoo horn is yellow with some speckles (he is also still wet so can't make out his pattern.

There is still one egg left in the incubator and I'm waiting to see if it hatches. **edit-The lone egg never hatched and isn't making noise so I'm assuming it is dead in shell.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  2. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Congratulations!

3. Xero

Xero Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2009
    Thanks! These chicks look crazy. Guess that is to be expected from commercial egg layer mutts.

4. Laurelm

Laurelm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    San Diego County
    Were they in the frig at the store?? I think I am going to try this just for fun!

5. Xero

Xero Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2009
    Yes. These were inside a regular grocery glass refrigerator. This is a fun project to do and it would be interesting to see the chicks from other egg suppliers. Out of 12 I had 5 hatch so it comes out to $0.65 per chick. The two casualties I think might have been from being too close to my "hot zone".

6. paintedsavvy

paintedsavvy Chicken Kisser

May 24, 2009
    Orem, UT
    Dang cool.

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I might do this the next time I have a broody hen. It's usually my bantams who go broody, and I usually swap their small eggs for those of my standard-breed layers. This would be a good way to bring some new bloodlines into my flock.

8. Xero

Xero Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2009
    This is a good cheap way to get a starter layer flock going at ANY time of year. Don't have to wait til June for the feed store to have chicks. Don't have to wait til weather permits to ship chicks or eggs. You just have to wait through a 21 day incubation.[​IMG]

My only issue is the brand I got doesn't have a website or any reference material so I'm not sure what breed crosses mine are. Every chick looks completely different which is great since they are easy to tell apart. I was expecting ISA Brown looking chicks since they own a large portion of the brown egg market but only one chick has the coloring. But they are very pretty little chicks and I plan to document their growth and share their adult pictures.

*I wish I had some bantams.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  9. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

i think the pics was too heavy in size or resolution or the server you uploaded into is limiting speed or bandwidth, it took long time to show 5% of the pics so i stopped it. i can't see the picture. my ISP is too slow in speed since i choose the cheapest ISP [​IMG] , glad BYC isn't heavy with ads that could slow down my browsing. [​IMG]

10. Xero

Xero Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2009
    Sorry mulia. [​IMG] I'll size them smaller and edit my post a bit just for you. I need a few minutes though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by