my old chicken is sick she is throwing up & her comb is turning purple

farmer macdonald123

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
north carolina
she is bobing her head violently and i do not know what to do she is throwing up water and she has direa I think it might be frostbite because her comb is purple and the frostbite lead to an infection but it has not been cold recently so I believe if it is not frostbite she may not be getting circulation to her comb. should i kepp her away from the other chickens or not??? she is a pet and we love her very much

How quickly did this start? My guess is that she's choking and suffocating. If she's still alive, she's likely suffered irreparable damage. Lack of oxygen to the brain results in hypoxia (which causes paralysis and such). The comb is turning dark because the blood is not oxygenated. Is she breathing heavily? Can she stand? If she's can't stand, it's probably too late now, but for future reference, when a bird chokes you have to dislodge the particles by flinging the bird downward. Hold the legs with one hand, support the breast with the other, and fling her between your legs very quickly until she vomits. This will empty both the lungs and crop, so be sure she doesn't aspirate again. I'm so sorry though! This is fixable, but it requires the tentative care of a veterinarian and an oxygen chamber, even then there's not guarantee she'll make it.

Hm. Well let's rule out if it's choking. Go to your vet (they might even have this at your pharmacy, it was originally used on people) and ask for a week's supply of isoxyprin (spelling might be wrong). It's a blood thinner. Treat her with that for one week, morning and night, and if she improves we know that she's choked. Is her comb still dark?

Back
Top Bottom