My old girl is being picked on!

MarcieJane

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 3, 2014
Jamesville, NY
Last summer, I bought 3 Sex links from a local guy. Other than having really dirty butts when we got them, they have been fine. He didn't know how old they were, but Big Bertha lays some super large eggs! I'm guessing she is probably 5 or so, judging from the egg size, but I could be way off. Recently, I noticed her eggs were weird, almost as if they had a shell and another shell swirled around it. They have been very bumpy. In the last two weeks or so, I've noticed she has been hiding in the next box(the favorite box, of course). When she comes out, the other chickens(we have 5 RIR in addition to the SL) will not let her eat or drink. Today, most of her comb was missing, and the tips of what is left are black. Is this the end of life for Bertha? I've been going out every couple of hours to allow her to eat and drink, but something just seems off. She and the other old girls(Maude and Betsy) are now in my sunroom. I'm keeping it about 45 degrees and they have food and water. Should I give Bertha a humane ending or is there something I can do? I figured the other chickens were trying to cull her, but I cant let her go out in pain like that. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks CollingWood! She is with the other two SL, and they are all getting along fine. I didn't want her being alone with no one to snuggle with:)

For sure!! The RIR seem to be the bullies. The Sex Links get along well and since I separated those three from the flock, all three older girls are doing fine. We raised the RIR from chicks and this is the first time I've seen them be bullies. Big Bertha was guilty of the same behavior when we introduced the RIR to the flock last summer. I'm just trying to figure out what has changed. Im suspicious that Bertha may be ill or at the end of her natural life. Im new to chickens, but I've seen this behavior in dogs culling an ill pack member. Can I treat the frost-bitten comb with anything? I'm also curious why she has frostbite but none of the others do.

Back
Top Bottom