1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Old Man

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by NYboy, Mar 16, 2012.

1. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Not sure how old he is, I adopted him 5 years ago when his owner died. Was told then he was a older dog. Just got him back from vets, they had to pull 10 teeth . I feel so bad for him, he is drugged up, I know when they wear off he is going to be sore. Looks like I better figure out how to turn on the stove ,don't cook for myself but will try for him.

2. Farmettehopeful

Farmettehopeful Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2012
    Johnstown, PA
    Poor guy, did they say what to feed him? I only know of the hamburg and rice diet when mine get tummy troubles. Maybe some canned food mashed up would be okay for him. Hope his pain doesn't last long and he may even be in less pain afterward if his teeth were real bad. Good for you trying to cook just for him~that's love!

3. try some hot dogs, once this old pug followed us home from the dump, his teeth were messed up and he was clearly old. He couldnt eat a whole hot dog so we cut it up in little peices, he still had trouble but it was fine. Hope your poor baby feels better

maybe cook some ground beef?

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I wouldn't change the old fellers diet so soon after an anesthetic procedure. Feed him small amounts of his normal diet, and soften it with warm water. Hopefully pain meds were prescribed, and the most important thing you can do for him is to make sure his pain is managed for the next few days. He should be healed in 7-10 days, and feeling like his old self within a week. I've performed many, many dentals on geriatric dogs and cats and the owners reported how well the pet felt after all those rotten teeth were removed.

This is a 16 year old JRT getting a dental. He had a grade IV heart murmur and elevated kidney values. His anesthesia was adjusted to meet his needs, and was sent home with pain medication suitable for a patient with kidney disease. He had numerous extractions and was walking with in 30 minutes of completion, and walked outside to urinate one hour later. He went home that evening and was ruling the house once again at his 3 day check up. His owner was ecstatic at her pet's 30 day check up stating he was acting like a pup again!

[​IMG]

I have more clinical pictures but they are traumatic for those not used to seeing a pet under general anesthesia.

I hope your pup does as well this one did!

5. blueferral

blueferral Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Simpsonville, SC
    ... eggs are a high quality protein source. Nice and soft too. If your on this board, I bet you have some around the house. Well cooked green beans are a nice source of fiber, minerals and low calorie (watch the sodium if you use canned). Rice for carbs. Worked well for my fathers dog with no teeth. A lot cheaper than the high end dog food the vet recommended and the dog wouldn't eat. Please note, theoldchick has a lot more vet knowledge and experience than I do.

6. NYboy

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Thank you everyone great suggestions. Went to supermarket and got baby food. I dropped a cherry tomato on floor, before I could pick it up he ate it!!! This morning he is running around happy.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Glad to hear he is doing so well!

8. Farmettehopeful

Farmettehopeful Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2012
    Johnstown, PA
    That's great news!!!! Never thought of baby food...easy and nutritious!

9. NYboy

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    It has been 3 weeks, wow what a difference, the old man is running around, rolling on his back and playing. He must feel so much better. Was worried I was risking his life, my vet said somethimes the ones you worry the mos,t do the best.

10. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I'm so glad to hear he's doing well! Anesthesia on older pets can be really scary, but sometimes the benefits outweigh the risk. It's absolutely amazing how much better some of these older pets feel once you get all the rotting teeth out! People mostly think of the obvious, that their mouth must hurt with bad teeth. But the reality is, rotting teeth can introduce bacteria directly into the blood stream and really drag on the immune system. They can cause kidney damage, which is extra hard on an animal who's at an age where the kidney function is usually less than optimal, and there are several studies that suggest that it can even cause heart damage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by