My older chick ha turned into a surrogate mama

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dzzzyd, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Dzzzyd

Dzzzyd Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2007
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This was after putting them together for three days. Flo was just a little baby on Mother's Day herself! Hahaha! I was worried that she was going to hurt the chicks. Well, I don't think I have to worry about her being mean. But, I might have to worry about her not wanting to give up her eggs later. What do you think?

2. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    awww. they look so cute together.

3. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    How cute is THAT!

I love the third picture, her bending over and a fluffy butt in the air - so cute!

4. Dzzzyd

May 9, 2007
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    This is where I keep them at night. During the day they are in the coop outside. I just haven't let them stay outside at night yet. We have Coons here and I want to make sure I have everything good and tight first. The neighbors have lost all of their Koi fish. My husband says I am Mama hen myself. Hahaha! Oh well.

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Is she a Buff Orpington? She looks exactly like my guys, now 6 weeks old. Same fluffy butt and gorgeous color. Yours is a special chick for sure.

6. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG]
    What a good momma! She doesn't even look full grown herself!

7. Dzzzyd

May 9, 2007
    Klamath Falls, Oregon
    Yes she is a Buff Orpington. She isn't full grown. She was just a little fuzzy on Mother's Day when I first got her. Her little buddy got out and was killed and she has been alone for awhile. Now she is happy to have company I think.

8. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Awww [​IMG] Gotta love them Buffs, the sweetest chickens [​IMG]
    I've got a couple of Buffs around a year old & they've gone broody about 4 times [​IMG]
    Miriam

9. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    When my Barred Rocks were teens, they used to huddle my little day-old chicks and be thier mamas. I wouldn't have to worry about them at all. And the baby chicks seemed to always be happy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by