My older chicken is pecking at my younger chickens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by autumnbee17, Jun 17, 2017.

1. autumnbee17

autumnbee17 Chirping

Jan 6, 2017
    Colorado
    I have a hen that is about 2 years old and I got some young chicks that are about 6 weeks old. She keeps pecking at them and my other 4 chickens don't care about them and acts like they have been in the flock for a long time. I don't know what to do so she can stop pecking them and solutions?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Crowing

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Remove her to a private pen for maybe a week or so---then put her back with them and see what happens---might not help, but removing her a day or two want work---at least a week or more. Good Luck!

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Is anyone injured? Do they have a lot of space? Free ranging? The younger birds need to learn to respect her space and get out of her way; that's normal, and will work itself out. Mary

4. Mary is 101% right. This sounds like usual and normal chicken behavior. Chickens are descendant from wild animals. They are not Tibetan or Franciscan monks and nothing we can do will turn them into pacifist.

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Crowing

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Make somewhere that only the chicks can into, so they can hide if she gets too rough. I had hens peck a leghorn almost to death one time. 6 weeks is pretty small to integrate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: