My older chicken is pecking at my younger chickens

autumnbee17

Chirping
Jan 6, 2017
Colorado
I have a hen that is about 2 years old and I got some young chicks that are about 6 weeks old. She keeps pecking at them and my other 4 chickens don't care about them and acts like they have been in the flock for a long time. I don't know what to do so she can stop pecking them and solutions?

PD-Riverman

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 14, 2012
Conway SC
I have a hen that is about 2 years old and I got some young chicks that are about 6 weeks old. She keeps pecking at them and my other 4 chickens don't care about them and acts like they have been in the flock for a long time. I don't know what to do so she can stop pecking them and solutions?
Remove her to a private pen for maybe a week or so---then put her back with them and see what happens---might not help, but removing her a day or two want work---at least a week or more. Good Luck!

Folly's place

Enabler
8 Years
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
Is anyone injured? Do they have a lot of space? Free ranging? The younger birds need to learn to respect her space and get out of her way; that's normal, and will work itself out. Mary

Cindy in PA

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 8, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
Make somewhere that only the chicks can into, so they can hide if she gets too rough. I had hens peck a leghorn almost to death one time. 6 weeks is pretty small to integrate.

Top Bottom