My older chickens won't return to the coop at night

JennyJordan

Hatching
May 15, 2016
Alna, ME
For the past week my older hens won't go back to the coop. When I have brought them in there and closed the coop door, but they just slept in the ground and wouldn't sleep in the hen house. They are still laying their eggs there during the day and comint in to eat and drink... but they are sleeping in my flower boxes. I feel bad and don't want anthing to get them. I opened the window in the hen house... I cleaned everything out. I just don't understand.

Did anything change in the coop - that they don't like?. I doubt that it is too warm in there yet, considering your state. Maybe you can put them on the roosts and close the coop door. Whether they stay on the roost or not, it's much safer from predators that being outside. You may want to move your flower boxes where they don't see them- so they stay around the coop instead.

I know the struggle of this first hand having silkies, seramas, and standard breeds in the same yards but in separate cages. Try locking them in the cage for 3-4 days with supplying food and water in there, should get them to know their home. After that they should unless they are stubborn chickens go back in the coop at night. Or just find a way to make the flower bd uncomfortable for them.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined the flock! Have you treated the coop and perches for mites and lice? That might be the reason they don't want to go in there at night. The best way to retrain them would be to gather them round and put them in the coop every evening. They should get bored after a few nights and go there themselves, from my own experience. Outside the coop at night is really not a good place for a chicken, again from my own experience. Good luck!

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

I put a light on in the coop and when it gets dark they follow the light. I have it on a timer and it shuts off automatically

Back
Top Bottom