My older hen producing fart eggs! (pics)

firsthouse_mp

Songster
10 Years
Dec 13, 2009
NorthernCal
My DH has been annoyed lately by the lack of eggs from our oldest hen. She is over two years old and barely produces. While our other hens are now back to laying in full force, she remains the only one who just isn't. The past few days she has been producing fart eggs. We ate two this morning--not quite a breakfast--had to add some other eggs, toast and bacon LOL! Thought I'd share these little things--they are really cute, but not enough for a meal! Now my DH is REALLY on a mission to get rid of her.....do you think her system will start producing regular eggs and this is a sign that it's getting ready to get started again?
bow.gif

Here she is and here's her two fart eggs:
45693_img_0010.jpg

45693_img_0035.jpg

Oh my! Wee little eggs! I wouldn't think this would be permanent. I have hens over five years old who still occasionally drop an egg. I'd actually expect to see something like that more with a young pullet.

Yes, your Grandma and my husband must have the same mindset! I wish she would just produce a few more eggs and then I could defend her a bit easier
wink.png

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

I have one who is doing these too. My daughter said if I have a recipe calling for 2 eggs, to use 2 regular sized ones and this wee one just in case
wink.png

Maybe buy some eggs and bring one in each day to your husband and tell him she's laying again? i wouldn't get rid of a hen i liked if she stopped laying. My favorite hen is coming up on five years old and we get the occasional egg, perhaps a dozen a year. But she has a home forever here.

I've had a couple of these. The girls started laying again.

I can actualy claim to have seen a "Fart egg" ... I worked out it was an acorn allergy. The chook was at full run and being chased by the others when she layed a soft shell. It landed a foot behind her and was fallen upon by the others... The hen was OK eventualy.

Those cute lil eggs make cute lil toasts: fried in a little garlic butter, my mom always called it "Moon over Miami" but my kids call it "Egg in Toast"
25976_p140211_0732.jpg

Do you have great bread that's on the small side, like artisan pumpernickel, etc?

my girls are doing this too.. I just double them up.. so when I said I had 4 eggs for breakfast.. it adds up to 2 normal size ones..lol

Oh these are the ones I will hard boil for lunches.. easy for little hands and mouthes ..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom