My oldest hen just crowed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pinenot, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    I have a little bantam hen that is 2 and 1/2 years old. Just layed an egg this morning and then while I was visiting her, she crowed! I thought..OK...everyone is going to think I am crazy,so I called my two sons out. My oldest is 12 and youngest is 7. They both got to see her crow.

I have seen it all!

2. SloCrevs

SloCrevs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    I've had most of my little ol' bantam hens crow. Especially after I get rid of a crowing rooster. It's like she (my oldest belgium bearded d'uccle mille fluer hen) feels like she must continue the morning's ritual. So she crows for another 2 months or so, or until I end up with another roo. I also had that problem with my Japanese...But it does come as quite a surprise when you're not expecting it!

-Sarah

3. Pinenot

Sep 11, 2007
    She has roosters with her [​IMG]

4. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
    Hmmmm. Maybe chickens have "genders" after all! [​IMG]

5. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    If you laid an egg, wouldn't you want to crow about it?

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I had a crowing hen...she crossed on Aug 08.
    And I whistle too...[​IMG]

7. Nicki

Nicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    Georgia
    I've had several of my bantam hens crow when they're a few years old, sometimes they have a roo in the pen with them sometimes they don't. I'm not exactly sure why they do it but I think it's kinda normal because I've read about it in chicken books before. Mine will usually do it a few days then stop; then sometimes start back a year later all over again LOL.

8. Pinenot

Sep 11, 2007
    Her babies are almost adult now, maybe she is teaching them [​IMG]

9. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    My Lacy, birchen bantam cochin, started crowing this summer. She would stand in front of Chitter Butt(cochin roo) and crow right in his face. He looked so confused. While she was crowing he never once tried to mate her. After a couple months she stopped crowing and everything went back to normal. Oh, she was still laying when she was crowing.

I just took it as her way of telling Chitter Butt to STAY OFF!!!

Matt
    Morganton, NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by