My one acre homestead

V-NH

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Hello everyone,

I am excited because I am 75% done building my ideal homestead on my one acre property. I'm a teacher by profession, but recently backyard farming has become a very serious hobby of mine. I made a design in paint of what my property is going to end up looking like once everything is complete. The only part I haven't done yet is build the single stall barn and purchased a dairy cow. I currently have 20 chickens, 3 meat ducks, and I am waiting on 3 meat turkies that I purchased. The entire setup is on one acre. I am growing pumpkins, butternut squash, okra, cherry tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, and cucumbers. To help put the size of the garden into perspective, my house is a 1600 ft ranch.

What do you think?

V-NH

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I have never grown okra before, so I honestly don't know how it is going to turn out. I'll definitely let you know if it grows. I was considering getting a couple sheep to keep the cow company once I purchase it, but I feel like I am already pushing the 1/2 acre fenced in area to the limit with a cow and 26 birds. Although, 6 of the birds will be processed by July so I'll be down to 20.

punk-a-doodle

Crowing
9 Years
Apr 15, 2011
Impressive! Keep us posted. :)

Ps. Planting the blackberries on or along a fence line will open up that garden space for something else. Not sure from the picture if they are free standing bushes or acting a a wall for the garden.

Last edited:

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
So what's the green area? Lawn? Around here "lawn" is just another word for pasture! Fence that in and put an animal on it!

I also live on one acre, but have a very long, narrow property. I'm envious of your nice square!

V-NH

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Yah, the green area is lawn. I've got a small fire pit, grill, and picnic table there for entertaining. A lot of my friends and family live very urban lifestyles (in and around Boston) so it is a real novelty for them to come up here and have a BBQ at my "one acre farm."

V-NH

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Impressive! Keep us posted.
smile.png

Ps. Planting the blackberries on or along a fence line will open up that garden space for something else. Not sure from the picture if they are free standing bushes or acting a a wall for the garden.
The blackberries are planted along the edge of the garden space. 5 feet to the left of them are three large lilac trees, so there's no where else to push them. When I fenced in the area in the back I didn't realize that there is something like a 4x8 patch of wild raspberries. I don't feel like moving the fence, though, so I guess the chickens can have them :p

MaryMouse

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 21, 2011
As far as backyard farming, be careful it is a very addictive lifestyle.
wee.gif
Things on you drawing look great. Every year you tend to add something more. Like a fruit tree or asparagus patch, or garlic, or rhubarb. I think you see the pattern. Anyways I am happy for you to be exploring this, you are in for a grand adventure.

Top Bottom