My One Month Old Chickies Free Ranging!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ibpboo, Apr 19, 2008.

1. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Weeee, this is fun!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will they find their hutch this evening? Or will they fall asleep in grass again and I will put them away at dark? We'll see!
    [​IMG]

2. ibpboo

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Yahooooooooooo! They went into the hutch all by themselves. So now I don't have to worry, I can free range them and they WILL put themselves away!
    [​IMG]

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Just make sure you feed them at night too (you can call them when you feed them too) --that will help remind them if they ever start to forget where to go to roost. Glad to hear they did it on their own though. Makes it easy on us caretakers!

I like the way they are out all lined up on their first day out walking!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  4. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Too cute, I'm glad they're figuring out where to go.

5. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    They are soo cute! What breed are they? I have three Production Red that are a little over 4 weeks old. They look alot like your pics.

6. ibpboo

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    They are Rhode Island Reds. I have only been putting them out in a penned area, but today they got to free range for a few hours. Yesterday, they had escaped from their hutch so I just waited till dark and they were cuddled up in the grass and I put them in their hutch through the little door. So, today I let them out most of the afternoon. They didn't wander too far from their hutch, maybe 20 feet or so. My other girls, 6 years old, didn't bother them too much but did peck at them occasionally if they happened to be in the same area. All the chickens like to hang out under the utility trailer for shade and dirt baths and that is where the babies were. So, hopefully, eventually I will be able to put the babies in the chicken pen with the other four. I still have the silkie that sleeps in tack room and the game hen that sleeps in tree.
    [​IMG]

7. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    They are very cute. I am glad you are having such good luck freeranging. My girls have to stay in the run. Too many neighborhood dogs and other dangers! [​IMG]

8. ibpboo

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Hey Candus, I too have 3 sons, a husband, 6 hens, 5 babies and 3 bunnies! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by