My one month old drake all of the sudden hates me!!!!!

gracewren

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 1, 2013
Ok so I have two one month old pekin ducks and the female Poppy hurt her leg so I had to isolate her so she could get better. Now he runs away from me and won't let me hold him anymore. If I yell at him and talk to him he'll be a little calmer but he's just so skittish now his name is Ramsey but poppy still loves me!!! I'm a first time duck owner I'm so confused help me

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
Ok so I have two one month old pekin ducks and the female Poppy hurt her leg so I had to isolate her so she could get better. Now he runs away from me and won't let me hold him anymore. If I yell at him and talk to him he'll be a little calmer but he's just so skittish now his name is Ramsey but poppy still loves me!!! I'm a first time duck owner I'm so confused help me
It's pretty normal for ducks to go through Oh my gosh I think she is going to eat me stage, have you been spending a lot of time with Ramsey? I don't mean trying too hold him or yelling at him but just sitting with him and just chilling out with him maybe offering him so kind of yummy treat? talking quietly to him? and another thing I'm sorry Poppy hurt her leg but I'm sure Ramsey is very lonely with out her, ducks are flock animals and they need each other to feel secure. I hope Poppy is healing nicely and the 2 can be together again real soon. And
welcome-byc.gif

gracewren

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 1, 2013
When he was a duckling He was so sweet and I see them and talk to them twice a day and feed them peas and now he's just grumpy he drives me nuts

desertdarlene

Crowing
10 Years
Aug 4, 2010
San Diego
It's possible that he has lost some of his confidence and security without her. I've seen ducks who were normally friendly and talkative with people suddenly get quiet and flighty when their mate or companion disappears. I agree with trying to offer him treats and letting him come to you.

Top Bottom