My One Year Old RIR Hens Quit Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BENNY, Jun 5, 2011.

1. BENNY

BENNY Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    I have a small flock of RIR chickens, consisting of 6 hens and one rooster. The hens have been laying well since they were 5 months old. I have lost one hen due to natural causes and one hen has raised 5 small chicks. The old hens are now 1 year old. The rooster has been getting meaner everyday and last week he attack the wife and I have to get rid of him. I did it quick and clean and only one hen saw me do it. Now the hens are very scared and have not laid a single egg since the death of the rooster. I was getting 4 to 5 eggs a day every day till I killed the rooster. Will they ever get over this and go back to laying. Hated to kill the rooster but I was scared for the wife and grandchildren. Thanks for any answers. P.S. I did switch from Laying Pellets to Flock about thje same time due to the different ages of my chickens. They still eat the Flock feed well, just no eggs. Thanks Again. Benny

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I would switch your layers back to layer feed. They probably don't realize you killed the roo as they don't have much of a brain but know that someone is missing from the flock. They will adjust with some time as the pecking order has changed without the roo. Also I don't know how hot it is there but many of my friends who also raise chickens say their flocks have nearly stopped laying. They have been getting 2 or 3 eggs a day lately out of several pullets/hens. My older birds have slowed down. I got 3 eggs today out of 11 of my 2 yr olds.

3. BENNY

BENNY Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    It has been very hot here lately,so maybe this has something to do with this. Thanks so much for your answer. This does help. Benny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by