My one year old Tom Turkey all the sudden can't walk

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chicken noris, Apr 23, 2017.

1. chicken noris

chicken noris New Egg

Apr 20, 2017
    Colorado
    He was fine one day then the next his feet swelled up and couldn't walk we have tried giving him vitamins but he's kind of having a hard time breathing so I don't know if it's his lungs and heart or a vitamin deficiency has anyone experienced this?[​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under chicken noris [​IMG] Welcome!

I am sorry to hear about your turkey and hope that the folks on the Forums Ken has given you links to are able to help. Sadly, I also know nothing about turkeys.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You could also post in fullest detail, photos would be good as well - at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread. I know Turkeys can get something called "Black head disease," but I don't know the full extent of what it causes. You could put "black head disease (turkeys) in the search box above and see what comes up.

5. chicken noris

chicken noris New Egg

Apr 20, 2017
    Colorado
    With a little more research I believe the problem was he was a broad breasted turkey. Bred to be a meat bird he grew incredibly fast and his heart and lungs couldn't take it. I was told that is fairly common among meat bird's. Poor thing Tom unfortunately didn't make it but he is no longer suffering. So don't get the broad breasted bronze or white to keep as pets.[​IMG]

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Aaaaw, I am sorry to hear that you lost him [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by