1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My only Buff Orpington is a roo I fear.....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mamahenAtlanta, Aug 15, 2014.

1. mamahenAtlanta

mamahenAtlanta Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    I am very new to chickens but I believe I have 1 roo out of my flock of 6 chicks (that were ordered as sexed pullets). My only BO, sadly, because I can't keep a rooster. She/he has been the most outgoing, bossy one from almost day one. She is 5-1/2 weeks old in these pics (if I can figure out how to upload here). Her comb is most precociously red I think..... Thanks for your opinions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    I am new too but I guess with you, Roo...

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    X2, at 5.5 weeks would vote roo.

4. Crownpointchick

Crownpointchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2014
    Strafford, NH
    [​IMG]
    This is my 13 week old pullet if that helps. I'd say yours is a roo.

5. mamahenAtlanta

Aug 11, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    I've also learned it's hard to take clear pics -- they are constantly dashing around! LOL First attempt, two of them flew up to my lap, shoulders and head and then pecked at the camera lens--VERY close up shots that you couldn't make out anything. Omeletta/Mr. Omelet jumps up high to get a meal worm treat and is very bossy with the other girls--do roosters bump chests a lot--or is that something all chicks do? Omelet has done that a lot with all the other girls. I said during the first week, that she was going to be at the top of the pecking order, but then the comb started ..... [​IMG]

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sorry, but it looks like a rooster to me as well. Pullets just don't have this big a comb at this age.

7. mamahenAtlanta

Aug 11, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    [​IMG]

UPDATE.... thought I'd post a pic of my 17 week old cockerel, Omelet (BO). He started crowing at 11 weeks and it's adorable (my only roo). It was pretty apparent early on that he was a he. But he's not horribly loud and usually only crows a few times in the a.m. and not too early! I giggle every time I hear it! Glad I didn't jump the gun and re-home him when I panicked at 5 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by