My Only Complaint about BYC/Suggestion

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sierranomad, Mar 20, 2015.

1. sierranomad

sierranomad Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2015
    Mokelumne Hill, CA
    OK. I don't mean to offend anyone, and really appreciate the huge amount of good advice I've gotten on BYC.

That said, my only "complaint", if you will, is the advice given by people that know no more about chickens than I do: coupled with the fact that, until you get a feel for those with experience it's impossible to know whether the advice you are getting is from someone who actually knows what they are talking about. I'm assuming that the designation "golden" etc actually means something...though I hope that it's not based on the number of posts.

Some very knowledgeable chicken people probably post rarely...others who know next to nothing probably are prolific posters.

I've seen some advice given here that would have been harmful (I know this because others with experience chimed in and said so). I've followed some advice that didn't hurt my birds (fortunately), just cost me some $.

I think that everyone who posts ought to be required to have a signature line that tells how many chickens they have, how long they've been keeping chickens, etc. I know that you can advice from an expert that doesn't work for you, and good advice from a novice, but at least having that knowledge would give you a good place to start.

Again, I really appreciate all the resources on BYC...sorry if I've offended anyone.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I think if you look at the date that they joined, that might help you a bit.
    It is just below their avatar.
    you'll see that I joined in 5/2009

But with that said, I have had healthy happy chickens for six years... but I am just lucky, I don't know what I am doing.

There are some stickies ( locked in threads) in the beginning of each forum category.
    say you go up to forums in the brown bar above this one, click on forums, go down to 'Raising baby chicks."

Then before you look at threads, in a brown bar above the thread you will see a box that contains stickies.
    They are tried and true suggestions.
    If you don't get the info you need, then I would look at the date joined. We pick things up even though we don't realize it.

Sorry you are having conflicting advice. I hope it goes smoother for you.
    and welcome to BYC!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. sierranomad

sierranomad Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2015
    Mokelumne Hill, CA

Thanks! That is helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by