My Open Air Coop is finished ! Here are the specs and cost !

waterguy81

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 15, 2011
Southwest Louisiana
Hello, I finished building my open air coop this weekend. Here is what I used. (sorry no pics yet)

10 ft W x 10 ft L x 6 ft H dog kennel / pen. $ 300.00

1 150 ft roll of 1 inch hole chicken wire. $ 65.00

1 roll of steel wire ( 1/4 mile roll) $ 20.00

4 plastic / smoke clear 8 ft L roof panels (like you use for a greenhouse) $ 20.00 each

3 12 ft treated 2 x 4 s. $ 5.00 each

3 8 ft treated 1 x 6 s. $ 5.00 each

1 10 ft L x 12 ft W tarp. $25.00

Total $ 525.00 estimated and rounded up ! I got everything at Lowes.

I built the pen, run chicken wire around the outside of the entire pen, put wire over the entire top, put the 2 x 4s at different heights for them to roost, and used the 1 x 6's to make the path to each roost. Put the plastic sheets on the inside - slid under the pen about 4 to 6 inches on the outside. Used the tarp on top of the wired roof as shade and rain protection. Tied everything down with the steel wire.

I put all 26 of my 3 week old RIRs in yesterday morning and watched them all day. They survived the night and seem really happy. My dog seems to patrol the pen perimeter which is funny and helpful. Ha Ha

Now remember down here it is already in the 80's and 90's and very humid so it was easy for them to be able to leave the brooder box so soon. I was having a problem keeping my garage (where I kept them before) under 100 F.

Also, I put 2 1 gallon waterers, and 2 3 pound feeders in there for them.

Well, thats my story and I am very open to any comments and questions !

Hope it will work for you too.

Where are you from? I'm from Opelousas.

Can't wait to see your pics.
pop.gif
I also have open air coops and have had them for many years. I LOVE THEM.

Back
Top Bottom