My order from Cackle....UPDATE: THEY'RE HERE but the saga continues...

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by P0U1TRYP3RS0N, Apr 18, 2008.

1. P0U1TRYP3RS0N

P0U1TRYP3RS0N Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    My order shipped wednesday, and still hasn't arrived and today is FRIDAY!! That means the poor chickies are probably roasting on the tarmac at Sky Harbor.....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I'm so upset--aren't they getting weaker? I know chicks can go 2 days after hatching w/o feed and water because of the yolk sac, but this is day three at least. The poor babies. THEY'RE LOST IN THE MAIL!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Have you tried calling the post offices in your area in attempts to track them down? Best of luck.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Uh oh. Not good. I would call the Post Office ASAP. Keep us updated. Let's hope they are ok.

4. P0U1TRYP3RS0N

Mar 11, 2007
    I called the post office THREE times today. No chicks came in. So they must still be in Phoenix. I hope they're okay. [​IMG] If they don't call in the morning...... Something's gone wrong and they are lost in the mail. [​IMG]

5. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Remember that a lot of the airlines were grounded for a few days. I had ordered some BR eggs and it took a week to get here. I would definitely open the box in front of the postman when they arrive. As soon as they get here, I would give them some water with a half teaspoon of sugar in it. That gives them energy. Give sugar water only for the first three days and then switch to plain water. Sometimes sugar water can give them pasty butt if you go past three days. [​IMG]

6. P0U1TRYP3RS0N

Mar 11, 2007
    Quote:Did the barred rock eggs arrive this week? I haven't heard of any airline companies cancelling flights this week.... Oh, no. The employees at the post office here DON'T like to see what's in the chick boxes-one shoved a box of chicks away--and that shipment was insured.
    Instead of sugar, can I use gatoraid? I never thought that sugar past three days caused pasting up! I gave my chicks last winter gatoraid in their water for a couple weeks and they pasted up, so it makes sense.
    ANYONE OUT THERE RECEIVED LIVE CHICKS THAT WERE IN THE MAIL FOR THREE DAYS?!
    I'll keep you posted.....

7. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Yes, mine were in the mail 3 days.........one lady here had them come after...I think it was 5 days but don''t quote me on that. She lost a bunch but some made it. All of mine were alive but one died shortly afterward.

Oh, and just for the record, there is NO WAY I would open that box inside. I could not bring myself to open it and then stick those babies back inside for the trip home. I would battle it out with the PO later but for the sake of those chicks I would wait to open it until you can get them out and comfortable.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  8. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    I believe you have to open the box in front of a postal worker to make a claim to the USPS in case there are dead chicks.
    The hatchery may re-imburse you, but the postal service is where the problem lays. They need to be accountable, not the hatchery.

Have you called Cackle yet? When there was a problem with my chicks, Cackle informed me about it. Maybe The USPS hasn't notified Cackle that there is a problem yet.

And I would take some water & food with me to pick them up at the PO since they have been without for so long.

Jean

9. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    [​IMG] I hope they make it ok!!!!

10. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I believe you have to open the box in front of a postal worker to make a claim to the USPS in case there are dead chicks.
    The hatchery may re-imburse you, but the postal service is where the problem lays. They need to be accountable, not the hatchery.

I still wouldn't do it. The already super high stress level of the chicks would make me wait. They are worth more than the money you might get back, and opening them just to shut them back in there seems cruel to me. Edit to say, this is unless they are going to have a fairly long ride home, then they need some water now.

I had a box of fish lost a few years ago for 2 1/2 days (these were live and supposed to be overnight). Two died (one made it amazingly enough) and the PO refunded the $55 shipping I had paid even though it wasn't opened in front of them.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by