My Orp hen is a roo? Questions!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JacksFarmNGardn, Jan 29, 2016.

1. JacksFarmNGardn

JacksFarmNGardn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2015
    New York
    There are 2 areas on the property for chickens.I have 6 in my area,and a family member has theirs in their own. Upon deciding to cull some yr old non egg layers,one was questionable.Squatted and has a slightly larger vent. So I said it could go in my area until they decided for sure. So we put her in,and not even seconds later, she was being mounted. By my "hen"!!! Well, I had suspected saddle feathers coming in a couple weeks back,but dismissed it upon researching and being led back here learning females can have them,but rounded.

Now for the questions. This buff orp,shares with 2 other roos.a 7 m old orp and a 10 m old ee. They both crow. How come neither of them tried to mate this new hen? I have never heard this hen/roo crow,but they don't start until about 6 months. I was told when I bought my 2 orp hens,they were 1 1/2 and were laying. The first pic is when i first got them. They looked like adult hens! I got them both Dec 17. If they were even 4 months old then,would my actual hen have an adult sized comb? Could my roo try to mate, without even crowing yet? I'm so upset I was lied to! Now I have too many roos! I'm torn what to do as well.

2. BoomChickaPop

BoomChickaPop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    Can you please post pictures that would help

3. JacksFarmNGardn

Dec 26, 2015
    New York
    Sorry,the other device i was on doesn't load pics. Here. Then,and now.[​IMG][​IMG]

More pics of each of them
    I am being told on a facebook page,they are both roos. Opinions? At this point i have no idea how old they are.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. BoomChickaPop

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns

They both look like roosters so sorry
    But the 4th picture looks like a hen
    Can you post a picture of the buff Orpington you thought was a hen

5. JacksFarmNGardn

Dec 26, 2015
    New York
    Last 2 pics are the same i believe is a hen

6. BoomChickaPop

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    Looks like a hen does she act like a hen or roo?

7. JacksFarmNGardn

Dec 26, 2015
    New York
    Act? I am new to chickens. My ee roo i took over from my family member. He was gonna be culled,but thought was too gorgeous to! I got him Dec 9,next day I picked up 2 slw,a wk later on the 17th the 2 orps and my orp roo(6m and is crowing) on dec 29. I completely fell in love with the orps moreso. They are like puppies! They always crowd me when i come in,the slw dont run from me but are like,meh,don't touch me. My 2 roos are like them! I'm not really sure what hens and roos act like that are diff from each other.

8. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    They are both cockerels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by