My Orpington has gout and water belly - what should I do?

LizzzyJo

Show me the data 👩🏼‍🔬
5 Years
Dec 14, 2018
The Great Black Swamp, Ohio
She is 5 years old and has had water belly for about 2 years. She has now developed gout on her foot and is walking with a limp. She still plays with the other girls, but lays down a lot. Is there anything I can do? Any guesses on the progression of this or how much time she has?
IMG_3702.jpg

If she were mine, I would just put her down. Water belly is incurable, & has many causes. 2yrs with the condition sounds very uncomfortable.

For gout, Apple Cider vinegar water, or Tart Cherry Extract capsules will fix.

If she were mine, I would just put her down. Water belly is incurable, & has many causes. 2yrs with the condition sounds very uncomfortable.

For gout, Apple Cider vinegar water, or Tart Cherry Extract capsules will fix.
Siiiiggghhhh. 😞Ok. I know you’re right. Thank you. She hasn’t been showing any ill behaviors until last week with the limping. If the gout begins to fade with treatment maybe she’ll be ok?

If not, have you ever drugged them with a human pill like muscle relaxer before culling?

She was from my first little flock. She’s 5 years old. I’m very attached to her.

Siiiiggghhhh. 😞Ok. I know you’re right. Thank you. She hasn’t been showing any ill behaviors until last week with the limping. If the gout begins to fade with treatment maybe she’ll be ok?

If not, have you ever drugged them with a human pill like muscle relaxer before culling?

She was from my first little flock. She’s 5 years old. I’m very attached to her.
The gout is fixable yes, but her water belly is a chronic condition.

Nope, no drugging is necessary. I usually use the broomstick method for culling ill birds. It's quick, & painless.

A pellet gun, is my second go to, just a shot right in the back of the head. Right in the brain. Also quick, & painless.

I know how you feel, I had to put down a 5 - 6yr old hen of mine, that I was attached too. She had a severe sudden case of water belly.

This news is always saddening.
I’ve processed meat birds and roosters without an issue. This just seems different. I’m sorry about yours as well ❤️
What are the behavioral symptoms that her water belly is painful? As I said she’s had it (even diagnosed by another chicken keeper), but it never impacted her behavior.

I’ve processed meat birds and roosters without an issue. This just seems different. I’m sorry about yours as well ❤️
What are the behavioral symptoms that her water belly is painful? As I said she’s had it (even diagnosed by another chicken keeper), but it never impacted her behavior.
You get used to after awhile, dealt with some tears the first couple times, after putting down a bird you really became attached too.

Laying down alot. Mine did this.

Hunching in a corner, is another symptom of pain.

She is 5 years old and has had water belly for about 2 years. She has now developed gout on her foot and is walking with a limp. She still plays with the other girls, but lays down a lot. Is there anything I can do? Any guesses on the progression of this or how much time she has?View attachment 3368693
Can we see some photos of her feet and legs (bottom of feet too)?

She's still moving about, playing with the others, but taking a lounge every now and again. Depending on your chicken keeping goals, just monitor and treat symptoms as they arise if she's a pet, if she's livestock, then process her. Having water belly for a couple of years - do you drain her periodically or?

Back
Top Bottom