My Orpington Roo is headed to the cook pot! LOL

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by bagawk, Apr 22, 2012.

1. bagawk

bagawk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2012
    He's everything you could ask a roo to be ...

Handsome
    Watchful
    Protective
    Calls the girls when he finds good food to eat
    Doesnt go after humans - even when they grab his girls
    Friendly
    Curious
    Outgoing
    Doesnt pick the feathers off the girls when shagging them

BUT . . . .

The bugger figured out where my master bathroom window is. If I'm not up early enough, he's standing outside the window crowing at it incessantly.

Previously my sorrel horse Boomer, would stand at the pasture fence yelling at that window when he saw we were up to remind him he's starving to death. He's apparently figured out how to communicate this to Hagrid, who is able to get through the fence to my window.

Clearly these animals don't understand the concept of sleeping in on the weekends!!! >:{

2. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Aw! Poor Hagrid! Too smart for his own good, hahaha!

3. BackyardCoop

BackyardCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    hahaha! Poor thing =P Hope mine don't do that!

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] I can relate. I have this honking at my bedroom window at the crack of dawn:

[​IMG]

Thing is, I'm already out of bed at 5 am! And he won't fit in the crock pot!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sounds like the kind of rooster someone else would just LOVE to have. Crowing doesn't seem a cook-worthy crime if he's all that wonderful in other ways. Maybe rehome him? With all the "my rooster flogged me" stories on BYC, maybe one of those folks would love to have him.

See my big blue Orp buddy in my avatar. I love, love, love his deep soulful crow. Of course, after 5 years, I can sleep through it.
    <------------------------------------------

Psst, I hope you were just kidding about the crock pot, not that I mind folks eating their chickens. I bet he's a handsome dude.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by