My Orpingtons- Most of them anyway- Pic heavy!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Buster, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Here are the promised pics of my Orpingtons. As you look at my pictures, please note that my coops are not usually this messy. We tried using straw as our deep litter and have decided to go back to using pine shavings. While more expensive than straw, we have decided that the benefits far outweigh the cost.

I'll start with the chick pics:
    One Welsummer cockerel (hatched from gamebirdsonly), two buff Orps (hatched from my own eggs- excuse me, my SON'S eggs, and some miscellaneous Orp chicks that hatched from both Bamachicken's eggs and my own that were black/white Orp cross.
    [​IMG]
    I believe that one in front is a blue- I think it will have pretty lacing. This would be one that was hatched from Bamachicken.
    [​IMG]

One of my black/white cross chicks:
    [​IMG]

And the other black/white cross chick:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    They are gorgeous! I love the picture of the blue in the second picture. What a camera diva! [​IMG]

3. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Sorry- clicked submit before I was done.

Here are the Roosters:

Meet Frodo, my Son's buff Orp rooster. He was severely frostbitten before he came to live at our house so he has lost the points on his comb and some toes but he is a great rooster- docile and great with the ladies.
    [​IMG]

Geronimo- my wild one:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Diesel- my NINE POUND ten month old cockerel:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    They are all just lovely! [​IMG]

5. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    Very pretty eye candy. I can't wait until the spring to get some. [​IMG]

6. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Nice birds! Who is that in your third post, third pic down in lower left corner, is that a turkey?

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:LOL yes that is a turkey. I was using the trailer that the chicks are usually housed in for my splash and black orp pair, but when the chicks were big enough to go outside I had to put the pair somewhere else and since the turkeys are only going to be around a little while longer, I put them in there. Sometimes I wish all my chickens could just run loose during the day and be put up at night because I think they are much prettier that way, but with three huge Orp roosters that have been separated with their own girls, I don't think that is possible anymore. I'm working on a rotation for them so that everyone can get some freedom.

8. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Oh boy they grow fast. That does look like a dark blue. YOur Diesel looks like a tank. Very wide body. Beautiful birds. Thanks fo rsharing

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Love the blue one in the second pic, Jared! Hey, where on earth is that barring coming from? The one in the third pic is what I imagine a Barred Rock/Blue Orp cross could look like. Very interesting. And Diesel is a monster roo!

10. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Diesel IS a monster! He is not pleasant to carry around for very long but calms right down when picked up.

I have no idea where that barring is coming from. I know that it is a black and white cross but am amazed at the barring. The other chick looks nothing like it. In fact, I threw some cross eggs in with Julie's eggs thinking that I could tell the difference easily and it turns out that I can't, or I don't think I can. I have no idea LOL!

The only other possibility that chick could be is a Speckled Sussex/ black Orp cross but the SS eggs are pretty distict in their shape and the two eggs I set were pretty obviously from the white orp hen that is laying. I only have 5 birds in that pen: Diesel, two ss hens and two white orp girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by