My oven died!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by vfem, Oct 18, 2009.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    ...and you know I bake like crazy... my living comes from my baking! So for now, there will be no more biscotti until further notice (which is REALLY hard since I already have christmas order pending). I am trying to raise money to buy a new one (nothing fancy, that's for sure... just a good quality oven I can trust to work day in and day out with how often its on).

Now tomorrow I entering in a contest at the NC State Fair for some Apple recipes of mine. 1st place is $200 and that would be a HUGE help! So cross your fingers I win (even 2nd and 3rd place pay so I'll take it).

Other then that, though I've pulled my biscotti from my Etsy store I still have jelly for sale, as well as some sewing items. I am BiscottiQueen and ShannonG on etsy if you are wondering.

SO please, cross your fingers I can get this taken care of asap... so I can get back to my business, cooking for my family and creating new biscotti! I'm CRUSHED this happened today of all days.

Forgot to mention.. it was a pretty dramatic death though... it was throwing sparks at me and smoke... it was mad! LOL

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] I would be lost without my oven.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Me too! My old stove kicked the bucket last year and it was over 15 years old.

4. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Want to bake at my house? I've got three ovens! [​IMG] What can I say? I love to cook and bake and can and all that stuff, too! Good luck on a new one! [​IMG]

5. skywatcher

skywatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Arlington,Indiana
    If you don't need nothing fancy then just roll a 55 gallon drum into the garage cut an opening near the bottom for firewood punch a couple holes to wire your flatten coffee can for a fireboxdoor. Stove pipe can be exspensive so look around the yard for an old tail pipe to direct the smoke out the window. forgot to mention after lighting the fire to let the paint burn off before cooking on it. Adjust cooking temp with height of cement blocks or bricks,hope this helps [​IMG]

6. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Are you sure you need a new one? What was throwing sparks? Do you just need a new heating element?

7. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    If you were close enough to me I could have given you the one we replaced! It's been needing a new home for over a month now and no one here wanted it [​IMG] We dropped it off at the thrift store today.

8. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I can relate, mine died a few weeks ago so I am saving for a new range.

9. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Check on the cost of a new heating element or thermostat for what you have now, before you decide to put money into a new one. There's really not many parts involved. The labor to replace the element probably costs more than the part. Sometimes it's just the bulb/capilary tube on the thermostat. On many models of ovens, the element is easy to change.

Ovens aren't that complicated ... you may be able to repair what you have for less.

Here's a troubleshooting link. Even if you don't "do it yourself", it might be handy to read before checking with a repair person.

http://www.repairclinic.com/Range-Stove-Oven-Troubleshooting

Be careful 220v electricity is dangerous!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  10. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Do you have a local Habitat for Humanity resale shop nearby? They get many stoves and ovens in when people remodel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by