My OWN Dog

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by JessiHarri, Aug 15, 2010.

1. JessiHarri

JessiHarri New Egg

Jul 22, 2010
    Well, unfortunately my dog got to 6 (out of 8) chickens! They were only 4 months old and he had never expressed any interest in them! I had planned on making my coop more predator proof but for 3 months, they were fine. So, my own dumb fault. Anyway, my dog is so hard to contain and he has already gotten a neighbors guinea so I know he runs off and is a pest to all my neighbors.

My question is what do I do with him? I do not know how to train him (Obviously!) We have 5 acres unfenced and he is used to running around loose but he does run off. I have had it and am willing to contain him. He is totally huge and could be a danger! I had my husband put up one of those runs that go from tree to tree about 40 feet and then there is a lead off that so he has about a 10 x 40 ft space. He is handling it well but I feel bad.

What I am really wondering is if we kept him in the fenced back yard, could we bury an underground fence just inside the chainlink and contain him? He is freakish about storms and when he is in the back and wants out he will just dig under. There are railroad ties and concrete block all along where he has dug and it doesnt stop him. Has anyone tried an underground fence inside a chainlink fence?

Thank you!

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Haven't tried that, but if he is a digger, you can bury some chicken wire or other fencing under the ground (horizontally, not vertically) and then if he tries to dig out, his toenails will catch and it will deter him. Works best if you till the ground, then lay the fencing down, rake the dirt over the fencing, then reseed over it.

3. ondreeuh

ondreeuh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    It sounds like you are talking about burying fencing material under your current fence? I would try an invisible fence. We have the PetSafe one, and it works well. We zip-tied the wire to the chainlink, and if the dogs get close it gives their collar a vibration. If they get closer they get a zap. In order to dig, they would have to sustain all that zapping. It's not too expensive, especially when you consider your liability if your dogs get out and injure/kill a neighbor's livestock.

4. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    First, I'm sorry this all happened. If your dog doesn't know basic commands like 'sit', 'stay' and 'come' then you really need to make sure he learns them, even if you have to have a professional help you. This will help a lot.

If you have a fairly small area where he is digging out, you might try a cattle pannel laid on the ground next to the fence. A friend of mine had a dog that continually dug out next to the driveway gate. She just laid the cattle pannel down and let the grass grow over it. They mow right over it and never know that its there and it solved the digging problem.

5. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Quote:This is pretty much what I am talking about, but we covered it with a little bit of dirt and reseeded it.

6. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    I have a underground fence charger and wire (bought, used, and don't have any dogs anymore) and in the instructions it says you don't even have to bury it, you can buy staples and staple it on the ground (weird I know, but the dog isn't supposed to get anywhere near the wire) anyway, I think it also said for chain link you can weave the wiring into the fence and I think that'd work for ya. I myself buried it but at that time I had no chickens and a large area to cover for 2 dogs with no fence to keep them in. BUT, it is alot of work to bury it!!!

7. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    It would really be wise to train your dog to at least listen to a few commands. It's not safe for him to just do whatever he wants. You are held responsible for him and hopefully nothing bad will happen when he runs off. Get small treats to start training him simple things. I've seen the electric fences for dogs and they seem to work. It depends on how aggressive he is. I hope something works for you in order to have chickens. If you have no interest in your dog then maybe he should go to a new home.

8. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Dogs are pack animals. They want to be indoors with the pack (that's you) and outdoors with the pack (that's you). Dogs generally do not do well just left outside whether it is free to roam or enclosed. In addition to 'sit', 'down', 'stay' and 'COME' they need to know how to walk on a leash and enjoy it. Many, many people believe that a dog needs tons of space, when in reality they need food and water, boundaries (including firm rules) and expectations and your company. Then you don't have to feel so bad. Sorry for your loss. Good luck with your dog. You can do it. There are some great dog training videos if you don't have access to classes. Hope this helps a bit. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  9. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Yay Chicks! :

Dogs are pack animals. They want to be indoors with the pack (that's you) and outdoors with the pack (that's you). Dogs generally do not do well just left outside whether it is free to roam or enclosed. In addition to 'sit', 'down', 'stay' and 'COME' they need to know how to walk on a leash and enjoy it. Many, many people believe that a dog needs tons of space, when in reality they need food and water, boundaries (including firm rules) and expectations and your company. Then you don't have to feel so bad. Sorry for your loss. Good luck with your dog. You can do it. There are some great dog training videos if you don't have access to classes. Hope this helps a bit. [​IMG]

I agree, dogs want to please the pack leader (which should be you) and feel needed and helpful to the pack. If they don't get this at home, they will go off and find some other dogs to hang out with. It's nice to have a lot of space, but he probably wants to be with you most of all and feel like he has a role in the pack.​

10. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    It might be cheaper to pay a professional trainer than to fortify your own coop and pay for the eventual damages he will cause to your neighbors' livestock. You will be happier and your dog will be happier and the new chickens you will get will be none the wiser. I'm sorry for your loss. Big dumb dogs just want to be dogs. I also agree with the others and think you can train the dog yourself. It will just take some work with the whole family, er.. I mean pack. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by