My own flock

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by abbygibson1212, Mar 19, 2015.

1. abbygibson1212

abbygibson1212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2014
    Missouri
    Okay so I got my first chickens 8 months ago at cackle hatchery when I went to Lebanon with my dad in his semi truck, and now, I am obsessed! Animals in general are what I'm passionate about, but chickens are quickly becoming my favorite [​IMG]
    Right now I have 7 hens and 1 rooster.
    I have a blue laced red wyandotte rooster (he may be splash, I don't know how to tell)
    A golden laced wyandotte hen
    2 easter egger hens
    1 speckled sussex hen
    1 black maran hen
    1 salmon faverolle hen (I think she's a she)
    And 1 hen who is either a splash maran or a splash olive egger, the guy I got them from didn't know if she was half easter egger or not, so I'll be waiting until she lays her first egg to find out.
    I'm still wanting to expand my flock (I'll do it slowly and quarantine all the birds before I introduce them and everything)
    And the other hens I would like to get are:
    •Red laced black wyandotte
    •Lavender Orpington
    •Blue laced red wyandotte hen
    •Swedish flower hen
    •Golden lakenvelder
    •an Olive egger if my splash one is a maran
    •Silver laced wyandotte
    •3 more easter eggers (wheaten and blue wheaten)
    And maybe one day an ayam cemani or swedish black hen (I have family in Florida so it wouldn't be hard to get to green fire farms).
    Now, what I'm wondering is if it would be better to hatch crossbred chicks out and sell them, or just sell eggs, or do both. I'm not looking to make a profit, I would just like to be able to make enough money to pay for chicken feed so that I'm not going into debt trying to feed my flock. I absolutely love chickens and would love to have a flock of 18+ birds to provide me with eggs, eat bugs, and just to watch free range. (Of course it'll probably end up being more than 18, because, you know, chicken math).
    So what would be the best way to go about sustaining so many chickens, money wise?
    Or should I just give in now and open a hatchery? [​IMG]

*also, if I end up having to get another rooster, what breed would you suggest? And how hard is it introducing 2 roosters? Would I have to keep 2 separate flocks so they don't fight?

**also again, if anyone has pictures of birds that are crossed between blue laced red Wyandotte and one of the other kinds I listed, I would love to see them!

2. abbygibson1212

Nov 29, 2014
    Missouri
    I especially want to know what Easter eggs/ blue laced red Wyandotte crosses look like.
    The two easter eggers I have right now, 1 is white and the other is dark brown

3. abbygibson1212

Nov 29, 2014
    Missouri
    And to add to my crazy chicken lady-ness I would like to have all 17 Wyandotte colors someday [​IMG] Wyandottes are my favorite breed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by