My own stupidity, now I've got a pecked chick. =[

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sixlittlechicks09, Aug 17, 2010.

1. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Hey everyone,
    So, because of my own carelessness I now have a pretty pecked up chick on my hands. I must have left the door open to the brooder inside the big chicken coop and my dear little Bowie got out. He's the youngest/smallest of the three chicks and my nasty OEGB hens did quite a number on him. I haven't a clue how long he was out, but when I found him around 6pm he was cowering in a corner by a bucketwith his head jammed in against it so they could only peck his bum. Unfortunately they really pecked the heck out of it [​IMG] His rear is all tore up, his back is missing all it's fuzz and his top wing feathers have been totally ripped out. [​IMG] I washed his wounds with antibacterial soap, but didn't do anything else. It was getting dark, he was pretty upset about missing his two coop mates so I just popped him back into the big brooder for the evening. I checked on him a few minutes ago, he seemed alright, if not a little ragged looking. Is there anything I can do?I have blue kote and vetwrap but I don't know about putting on such a young chick. His oil glad was red and swollen too, like it had been pecked. I know it's probably not a good idea to put anything on that, but what can/should I do? [​IMG] I'm just stressed out about it, he was walking/eating/drinking fine but he's covered in nicks and scrapes. And he's missing most of his feathers now, am I going to have to up the temp or bring him back inside? Thanks for everyone's help!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Separate the little guy from the other two (they'll get busy pecking as well). Indoor infirmary until raw areas start healing well, then blukote those and keep an eye out when reintroducing to others.

Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  3. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    dont worry your not as stuped as you fell (sorry if im not helping) just keep him clean oh and are his buddys missing? it sounds like thats what your saying...

4. sixlittlechicks09

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Quote:Oh no, his two little friends are still out there, he was just missing them.

And thanks everyone!

5. sixlittlechicks09

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Alright everyone, I went to check on little Bowie this morning, he's looking alright except his oil gland is HUGE. It's a little red, along with the rest of his bottom, but his oil glad is just big and hard. [​IMG] Is there anything I can do for it?

6. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Quote:No advise but [​IMG] I am having an issue here with my oegb attacking one of my chicks they are the same age but the cochin chick won't fight back so she is now seperated and dh is in the big coop closinf off a section for the game birds so cochin chick can go back in the baby coop.

7. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    If it were me, I'd put some neosporin on it & make sure he has some antibiotic feed (or in his water) to help ward off infections. Plus, you'll need to separate him from the other chicks, too.

8. sixlittlechicks09

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    Well, I seperated Bowie for a while today, but he just screamed the whole time. [​IMG] I made sure he was warm enough, had food, water, I even cooked him up some scrambled egg, but he wouldn't touch it. He just kept peeping REALLY loudly and walking around his little kennel. I left him in there for about an hour, but he wouldn't settle down, so I caved and put him back with his two flockmates. He quieted right down, and went over and took a big drink. He just seemed so stressed out in the house by himself. They haven't been pecking him, but his oil gland is still really red and he's missing almost all of his feathers and his skin is still really red.

9. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    If they do start picking and you have to separate again, place a towel or the like over box/cage to cut down the light level (just so it can see to eat and drink is enough), this keeps them calmer (quieter), overall.

10. sixlittlechicks09

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    I thought of something else too, half of his wing feathers are missing. [​IMG] Poor little guy, he looks like a rotisserie chicken. Is there anything I can do for his little feathers? Or is he just going to be bald until his first molt?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by