My Pair or Chocolate Orpingtons are now here and doing Great! Pics Post #13

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by OkChickens, Feb 21, 2012.

1. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I have the chance to buy a Imported Pair of 100% UK Bloodline Chocolate Orpington Bantams from a Breeder. In your opinion what would be a fair price. They are fertile and the Hen is laying almost daily. Remember true stock chicks are between $75-100 for day olds plus shipping. Thanks

Nate

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA

Nate, you should pay for this advice exactly what it's worth.... I was struck by Coronation sussex madness and paid an incredible $ amount (which only my husband and Greenfire farm knows) the total for sevral pairs of juveniles...I love them and they are so huge and sweet.... I don't regret the purchase.....Will I ever recup purchase price......not for many years....Was it a decision regretted to get into them, absolutely not. I enjoy their looks personality, babies and eggs!

As I see it there are some factors to your question....Being sure you have the paperwork tracing those lines....And are you financially prepared to spend the kind of money you will be investing...and willing to be prepared for either predator or poultry problems Knowing that things happen in the poultry department, the roo may go infertile, the hen may not lay many eggs..... Also, are you just interested in the breed because of your own attraction to them.... If yes, go for it and keep me on your mailing list for eggs..

I personally am a nut for anything chocolate colored in eggs, feathering, etc or lavendar - hence my collection of all kinds of marans, welsummers, etc and lav guineas, lav orps, lav ameraucanas, and coronation sussex and quest now for lav silkies to join our flocks......... So basically I would expect the bid prices for this pair to be around $150 upwards to $300 for the pair on the right format audience. I would probably suggest that you see the parents and consider also trying to get some eggs/chicks to enhance your group.... Hey and when eggs are ready, I'll take my advice payment in eggs or baby chicks.[​IMG] Good luck with the quest! Nancy

3. OkChickens

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Well the price that he told me (I will not say the price) Includes 1 pair of Chocolate Orpington 12-13 months old and 2 unsexed 2 week old chicks. This breeder has many Breeds he is working on and He just need to cut back a bit and he has decided to sell the Chocolates. I have bought stock from him before and he has been extremely truthful on answering every question that I have asked him. He purchased the birds directly from the Importer Marc Sarce of Heirloom Orpingtons. He has been hatching out chicks from these birds for a while. Thank you Nancy for your Reply! If I get them I will put you on the list!

Nate

4. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Nate YOU should jump on these and buy them....Sounds just like a great deal and I so soo want some..... I'll be looking around to see who we will sell so I can get some of these eggs! I will be so happy for you...not jealous happy.... I have all I need now without a sellout of something, Ha! But I can give these the guest bedroom, It's rarely used......An especially wonderful situation if you know the individual and have been pleased with past transactions... Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Its pretty cheap and I would jump at it!

6. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  7. OkChickens

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    It is hard for me to believe that they would 1/3 the price than everyone else. They did not mention the line or who the importer was and also very vague on their description. I will check into it though. I would rather have a pair that I know is fertile and from good quality stock, You never know it is possibly to get 6 chicks and get 1 hen out of the bunch.

Nate

8. Chic-n-farmer

I just skimmed the details as I am not interested in them. It only caught my attention because at the time there was an auction where chicks were selling for their weight in gold... or close to it. And straight run at that...

Once the balloon burst on chocolate orps, and trust me, it will, then they might look a bit better to me. But they really aren't on my "Bucket List". [​IMG]

I hope you get your chickens. [​IMG]

9. OkChickens

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I have been interested in them for a while! What I would really like to get my hand on is a pair of Jubilee Orps! That would be Awesome! I have talked to the breeder and I will meet with him on Thursday Late morning or afternoon. This breeder has a Trio I believe and he will start selling them this next Spring. I will let you all know if i get them. Thank you!

Nate

10. Chic-n-farmer

Now there is a breed on my list!! [​IMG] Best of luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by