My pallet coop- so far

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ernndbrtt, Jul 17, 2011.

1. ernndbrtt

ernndbrtt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Here is what I have gotten done so far on our pallet coop... I indeed got the idea from jjamerb, (https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=29322) THX! I got the pallets from my employer for free, I'm a truck driver so I have access to as many as I need... One thing I really wished I would have done though is followed jjamerb's advice about getting the same kind of pallets... A little more time in our pallet trailer at work would have saved me three fold the time during construction... Live and learn, I will heed that advice when I build my goat barn from the same materials this fall.... This is a 20 pallet coop @10 1/2' x 6'8". 3 pallets wide x 2 pallets deep. I have to cut the opening to the man door, cut the windows out, put shingles on the roof, build an awning over the front part of the coop and then the run, and the inside of the coop. All together I have @$150 in materials in this coop....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    awesome! [​IMG] I think it's great when people use what they can get for free to make coops!

3. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Very cool. I love anything that is recycled, reused, re-purposed...and free rocks too! [​IMG]

4. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    [​IMG]

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I love it!

6. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    No doubt the pallet coop is an awesome choice for cheap material and quick construction. Yours looks great and I may do something similar with some pallets of mine. I know you probably want to add some ventilation areas/panels near the top of the structure as these are paramount to the "livability" for the birds. Keeps the ammonia from getting too concentrated and gives water and heat a way to escape. Very nice and very simple!! I also love the shady area you put it in. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. lynn1961

lynn1961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma
    That is GREAT. What a wonderful way to recycle.
    It looks AWESOME ![​IMG]

8. FiascoFarmer

FiascoFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Farmington, NH
    Just have to say.... AWESOME!! AWESOME!! AWESOME!! AWESOME!! AWESOME!! AWESOME!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

As an avid "recycled materials" freak, I love this! I acquire discarded but still serviceable materials all the time. Sometimes used in their original state... Sometimes re-purposed. I was not always like this. I used to go to HD or Lowes and buy all new and burn any used or discarded stuff, but as my families economy gets worse with the US economy I started my now crazed use or re-purposed materials!

Simply AWESOME!!

9. ernndbrtt

ernndbrtt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks for the kudos everyone!!

As for air flow into and out of the coop, there is space at the top near the roof on the front and back that will only be screened in and there will be two windows, a chicken door and a human door that I will make a screen door for in the summer or just leave it open as the run will surround the coop and there will be deer netting over the top.

Today I bulit an awning over the front side and got all the tar paper and shingles on.. Luckily for me, I found 4 different kinds of batches of shingles in my garage from previous to us roofing jobs.... They all sort of matched, from about 10 feet my wife couldn't tell the difference;)

10. FiascoFarmer

FiascoFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2011
    Farmington, NH
    Nice! Keep us updated with pictures too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by