My Parrotlets!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by feather leg farms, Aug 26, 2010.

1. feather leg farms

feather leg farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    We decided to get into the Parrotlets because they are a small bird that is talks and don't take up much room. Here are some pics of the ones we have now. My parents have two pairs and I bought me one with my birthday money.

Dixie is our green pet parrotlet.
    [​IMG]
    Dixie and her sister Sunshine
    [​IMG]
    Kiwi and Luna
    [​IMG]
    Jasper and Alice (they are my birds)
    [​IMG]
    Jacob and Bella
    [​IMG]

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Beautiful little birds! That's one bird I never got to take care of at the sanctuary. I don't know why the lady didn't have any! I would love to look into them when I have a place of my own. I didn't realize how tiny they are! how are they noise wise?

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    They are really quiet. Unless they are a breeding pair. Even the breeding pairs are mostly quiet, but courting they chatter quite a bit for a few days, that's about it. I have several pairs inside, barely notice them noise wise, except at breeding time.

4. feather leg farms

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    onthespot: I really agree with you there. The breeders are a little more chatty, like you said thats b/c they are flirting with each other. I do expect they will have babies in the next month because they are really dancing and flirting alot. We just can't seem to get the breeder boxs here. We ordered them two weeks ago.

Chickerdoodle13: Hope you get some babies. I can't wait till ours have them.

My pair i surely hope lays eggs and they hatch, because they are pied and het for blue.

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Do pairs bond to each other like love birds do? I know love birds can get nasty once they are paired so it is recommended to keep them separate if you want to keep them as pets.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  6. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

They are so sweet!! I think birds have the most intelligent face. Guess its those little eyes. My finches have three nests going, and someone was getting his pedigree read to him/her this morning before I turned their light on. I love to watch them. Would love to add these little guys to the ark too.

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I only have breeder birds, parent raised, so none of them are pets. The girls are much more bitey than the boys. I looked in a nest box today and there was a brand new baby blue (white down) grub. It will either turn out turquoise, or turquoise split to blue.

8. feather leg farms

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    To answer you pair question, yes they do bond to each other, but you still need to make sure they have plenty to entertain them all day. If you want them to breed I wouldn't try to hold them. I don't know about all birds but I know parrotlets and lovebirds are this way.

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by