My pasty butt solution

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mamaKate, Mar 25, 2009.

1. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I brought home two chicks from Orscheln's on Thu. No dates on the brooders but I think the RIR was about a week old and the BO was about 3 days. Anyway, the little BO had pasty butt. I tried repeatedly to clean her with a wet paper towel with no result. I even put a glob of vaseline on it to soak, hoping it would loosen. Didn't help. So I took her to the sink and dipped a swab under warm running water and then let the drops trickle over her rear. Within 10 or 15 minutes she was all clean. I blotted dry and put her back under the light. The hardest part was listening to her sister's hysterical peeping. The RIR totally loses it if she can't see the BO.
    (small tangent) My daughter told me years ago that my fun button was broken. Nope. My fun is just WAY different from most people's. Chicks are too cool fun!

2. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    LOL, sounds like a pretty good way to wash a chicks bum. I have one down in the brooder, about 50 feet from the house, that I just carry warm water and a rag down to.

Love what your daughter said about your "funny button". I also tend to think I find fun in different ways!

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I have found that if you put vaseline on butt and feathers around butt the poo can't stick to them.

4. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Can you do that on duckies too?

5. Chicken Woman

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Vasiline won't come off with just water so I would think it would wprk for duckies.

6. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I just bring mine to the sink and put their butts under the warm water. Wouldnt Vasiline kill a chicken since it is petrolium based? I was just thinking if the others started pecking and injested some???

Sorry about the spelling...2 two year olds are "helping" [​IMG]

7. Chicken Woman

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    No there are alot of petrolium based products used on chickens. I use vaseline on my hens combs in very cold weather to protect against frost bite as do many people on BYC.

It only takes a very thin layer on there butt. [​IMG]

8. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    My two little duckies had the dirty butt but dried up to the point where warm water wasn't working. I just went ahead a put a liberal amount on their fuzzy bottoms and checked later and it all fell off. Clean fuzzy butts! I usually have one pullet a week that I need to clean. Sometimes the scissors come out for that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by