My Peacock

Heather Tew

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2016
Hi! My name is Heather and I'm doing a FFA Entrepreneurship Project on breeding and selling peafowl. So I was wondering if y'all could tell me the color of my peacock.

Hi! My name is Heather and I'm doing a FFA Entrepreneurship Project on breeding and selling peafowl. So I was wondering if y'all could tell me the color of my peacock.

Welcome to BYC! The fun has just started. Very nice rooster indeed and your in the right spot for a wealth of info.Enjoy.

Gerald Barker

Welcome to BYC! I see you found your way onto BYC! The others have given you great advice.

Woosers!  :eek:   What a beautiful Silver Pied!  Welcome to the group!
Thanks! I didn't mean to do that last comment still getting use to this website. I also thought he was a Silver Pied just wanted to verify!

Last edited:
Just so we don't confuse you with terminology, peas are identified by color first followed with the pattern, then any splits which can also be hidden. When we called your bird a Silver Pied, the India Blue is assumed. Technically your bird is, (as far as we can tell by the picture), an India Blue Silver Pied.

Next you will start hearing about Phenotype and Genotype. Phenotype is what you can see, like when we call your bird an India Blue Silver Pied, because that we can see. Genotype is the genetic makeup of the bird when you know the heritage of the bird you can quote the genetic makeup of what you can not see.

For example, IF the father of your boy is India Blue Black Shoulder Silver Pied (IBBSSP) then your boy could be India Blue Silver Pied split Black Shoulder. Or, IF the father was Cameo Silver Pied, your boy would be India Blue Silver Pied split Cameo.

@kskingbee I see it gets pretty difficult. I'm use to breeding goats and horses not peafowl but I like to say experts had to be beginners at some point!

@Heather don't worry it's not that hard to pick up the terminology once you've been around it for a while. It's like when you start a new class or new job, in no time the lingo is second nature.

Back
Top Bottom