My Peafowl Pictures

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by MinxFox, Sep 17, 2010.

1. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Hi if you haven't noticed me yet I am new here! I joined for this peafowl section because that is all I have anyways is 5 peafowl.

First off we have me petting Dragon's train. Dragon is my three year old pied white eyed male.
    [​IMG]

Here is Dragon again. He is very unique because his whole train is regular colored except for one white eye feather in the center of his train.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my first ever peahen Ice. She is a three year old blackshoulder. In this picture she is sunning herself.
    [​IMG]

My first two peafowl were Ice, who I just showed you, and Fire, a India blue male. I didn't know that because they didn't grow up on our place they had a higher chace of leaving so after about two months of being penned I let them out. they stayed for about a month or so then the male left. We sometimes hear about people spotting him but we haven't seen him agian. Ice left several days later, but we were able to find and catch her in someones backyard.

In those days that the birds stayed though, each day was magical. Sometimes I found them running in and out of the barn for no reason! One morning we got up early to watch them fly down from a giant oak tree. That was really something!

This is Ice when she was free-ranging. She is about to jump out of the barn.
    [​IMG]

Here is Ice again free-ranging. She used to be so scared she stayed in the bushes almost all the time. She isn't like that anymore, the other birds she is penned with taught her she doesn't have to hide all the time it is okay to go out in the open.
    [​IMG]

This is Fire, my runaway I told you about. He was pretty but I don't think he liked Ice because she was always wanting to hide and do nothing. He picked on her a lot when they were penned together.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will eventually try and show pictures of the yearlings Pip, Alto, and Damsel. I do have pictures of them but the pictures are not current and they have really grown since most of the pictures, especially Alto the male.

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

BEAUTIFUL!! My cousin has about 40 Peafowl. I got eggs this year & have 10 youngsters running around. Love the P's!

3. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I would love to have hatched my own peas but Ice didn't set on the eggs so when I tried to incubate them it didn't work out. We think the eggs were outside in the heat for too long. When I cracked them to see if the had even formed they hadn't. Oh well this was only my first breeding season so hopefully I will know what to watch out for next year and hopefully my yearlings will be laying eggs next year too.

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I incubated 20 eggs & got 12 to hatch, the 2 white died within 4 days, but all others are healthy.

5. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Ah yeah I didn't have many eggs to try to hatch. The first clutch she laid was a clutch of six, but we waited too long to incubate them because we thought she would sit on them. The next clutch was only three eggs and we tried incubating those but it didn't work.

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Minxfox welcome to the Peafowl world , aint they grand.

very nice looking birds you have. not sure your Dragon is a white eye, as pied can have white spots of patch of white any where on the bird.

Don't get your hope up yearling hens can lay, but not many.......most need to be 2yr

7. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I know I was trying to say next year when they are two I hope they lay.[​IMG]

Dragon has a white mark on a lot of his eye feathers. It isn't a whole lot of white, but it is there.[​IMG]

Oh I am from the UPA forum, I know some people who are a member there are also a member here...

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Ok then W.E. yep few of us upa member are here....[​IMG] so [​IMG]

9. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Thanks![​IMG] Just wondering do you have deer?

10. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    You have a beautiful flock! Dragon definitely deserves his name. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by