My Peahen and peacock (Pics)

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Tikkajazz94, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought I would share pics of my peahen thats just a yearling (Close to it any who) Shes a Indian Blue. Both birds wings are clipped.
    [​IMG]

My peacock. He's a Pied as you can tell. Just turning 2.

[​IMG]

Now how do I get them to Like me? I've tried the same way i did with my chickens and doesnt work... My hen litterly Hissed at me....

2. pheasantfreak

pheasantfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Preston, idaho
    i give mine treat all the time but mine are still deathy afraid of me i havent made any progress since i bought them as chicks but good luck

3. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    I give mine bread and grapes and whatever else I have on hand. I have a yearling and a 2 year old too, that is wierd haha [​IMG] Mine dont eat out of my hand but are more then happy to accept the treat if it is on the ground. Make sure you spend plenty of time with them, and let them come to you. Mine were skiddish for the first week and all's they did was stay in their shelter, about a week later they both came out and explored and then he started to display and nothing can stop him now he displays all day and when I am around he will show off for me [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  4. SunBaked

SunBaked Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Southwest
    Your pied is beautiful! [​IMG] I'm new to peas myself so I don't know if this is the best approach but I bribe mine with treats. Their favorites are boiled egg, shredded cabbage, watermellon, catfood soaked a bit in water and alfalfa. I try to bring them something different every day. I also spend time every day just walking around slowly in the pen with them. I can't pet them but they will walk around right next to me and meet me at the door to see what the treat for the day is.

5. doudini2

doudini2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Spend as much time with them as possible. They get used to your presence. Guess what works for me? He likes dangling objects so we dangle a sleeve or a string of keys in front of his face slowly and then we power him with it and.bb them he starts to get hypnotized, and close his eyes. Try to lure him close to you with a toy, then teeze him.

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    She is so pretty. I have 4 IB peachicks in the brooder, I'm hopeing a few are hens.

My adult male, Romeo, loves cat food. He comes running when he sees me sit on the ground, he knows it's time for a treat.

~ Aspen

7. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    Mine too love cat food. Two or three times a week I go in the pen and just sit down and throw some cat food or sunflower seeds down by my feet and they all come running. I haven't really tried to get them to eat out of my hand, but they will come right up next to me.

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Just work with them and maybe they'll start eating from your hand. [​IMG]

~ Aspen

9. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    They're pretty! Mine love pasta of any kind & grapes.

10. Barrdwing

Barrdwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Our dominant peahen was raised by chickens (poor thing) and since we spend a lot of time with the chickens, she got used to humans. She learned from watching the hens that people are not scary and often carry food, and even now she's the easiest to handle of all our birds. I think being raised in the absence of other peafowl was rough on her, but made her more open to the notion of strange-looking allies. When we bought more peachicks, they all ran around in a little clan and wouldn't talk to anyone else; they grew up more standoffish.

Every morning I go out and toss the peas some scratch. I talk to them and greet them by name (it's getting harder to tell who is who as the flock has grown), and I could swear that the oldest three know their names. Pod, the dominant male, is easily flattered: if you tell him what a handsome boy he is, he fluffs his feathers, and if you go out there with a camera he will display for ages.

I'd recommend spending lots of time with them. Bring them treats. Take an old chair out there and sit and watch them, or read, or do crafts: simply being out there often in a non-threatening manner will do much to get them used to you. Move slowly, and if they start to get frightened, stop moving and talk to them quietly. And know that all birds have their personalities and sometimes you'll have a harder time making friends. Our beta hen (who is named Mihoshi the Idiot for good reason) is quite used to us, but isn't what I would call friendly--she's an old sourpuss. The younger birds are silly and like to spook and run off, but at least they'll always come back for food; I figure they'll come around eventually. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by