My Pearl White Leghorns started laying today!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by erinszoo, Feb 9, 2012.

1. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    [​IMG]Two of my white leghorns laid their first eggs today. I'm so happy! We've always had BR's which lay brown eggs so I'm super excited to get a white egg ... it takes so little to make me happy.

2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Congratulations! We have White Leghorns and they are awesome. Many days even during the winter, they laid an egg a day. You won't be disappointed.

3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    YAY! I got my first from my white leghorn three or four days ago! They're already getting much bigger...

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats!

5. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    How old are your Leghorns? How many more Leghorns do you have that are the same age?

Tell those girls to get going. They owe you about 300 eggs each this year. [​IMG]

6. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    We only have 5 white leghorns and they are all right at 4 1/2 months. They are such small birds but they weigh a ton and their combs are huge and bright bright red. We got another one today as well. We have 9 BR's that have continued to lay all winter and we have 4 red's that are the same age as the white's but their combs are still little even though they are much bigger birds.

7. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    When you say Reds, do you mean Rhode Island Reds? I am sure they will begin laying eggs within a month.

White Leghorns will lay more eggs than any other breed, but the Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks are good layers and good for meat. There is no way breeds bred to be dual-purpose chickens can keep up with laying eggs with a breed that has been bred as specialized egg layers.

It is fun to have a variety of breeds, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by