My peep is filling with fluid?!?!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peeplover2030, Nov 5, 2013.

1. peeplover2030

peeplover2030 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2013
    my 2 week old peep has a lump on his stomach and a lump on his chest that are filled with what I think is fluid he's not growing much and is always crying what can I do?

2. MaddiesMum

MaddiesMum Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it possible that the lump on his chest could be the crop? Try feeling it right after he has eaten, if it feels like seeds (or whatever you have fed him) it is just a storage spot on chickens before food is digested. Be very gentle!

Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  3. peeplover2030

Nov 4, 2013
    I don't think it's her crop because it's on the side of her chest and I don't feel any food after she eats it's still just a squishy lump. and what about the lump on her underbelly? I love this peep dearly she's my favorite out of the twelve and she's sooooo sweet.

4. MaddiesMum

It should be towards one side of the neck/chest if its the crop.. It will feel watery when there isnt a lot of food in there. And I'm not sure about the belly, it may have to do with the way she absorbed her yolk, might be no problem in the end.
    Just keep an eye on her and make sure she has access to heat in the brooder. Keep an eye on her appetite as well.
    Unfortunately if she is unwell, there is not a whole lot you can do for them at that age.

5. peeplover2030

Nov 4, 2013
    ok thanks I'll keep an eye on her and try to make her comfortable

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There is a condition called subcutaneous emphysema that is a leaking air sac, usually from an injury or sometimes due to infection. I don't know if that is what your chick has, but these can form pouches of air beneath the skin. They may get very large and cause breathing problems or pressure on the organs. Some people have removed the air with an 18 gauge needle and a syringe, but with a chick this tiny that could be dangerous. Here are 2 links to read: note post # 7 https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/171121/deflating-subcutaneous-emphysema and http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/223/subcutaneous-emphysema

7. peeplover2030

Nov 4, 2013
    I just wanted to let you guys know that she got worse and she finally passed away today.

8. MaddiesMum

Oh no I'm so so sorry to hear that :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by