1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

my peepers are exibiting a new beahvior

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by spotstealer, Apr 2, 2011.

1. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    I normally let my six chickies out of the brooder to "scratch" for crumbles a couple times a day (in the house, still too chilly out). They are three weeks old now. Tonight, when they were on a piece of carpet I use with them (so they don't soil the regular carpeting), one of them started scratching like normal. All of a sudden, she started a belly crawl, while still scratching. Then she laid down completely occaisionally scratching and continuing pecking at the crumbles. I thought something was wrong, but all of a sudden, three more did the same thing. I wasn't sure if they were dusting (because they're feathers were all fluffed out, or this was an attempt at nesting? It seems like normal behavior, because once the first one did it, others followed suit.

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Yep, they are dusting! Don't you love it? [​IMG] They will be exhausted afterward. [​IMG]

3. laircy

laircy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    California
    Attempting to take a dirt bath [​IMG]
    Silly chicks.

4. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, carpet bathing. The first time they did it I didn't know and it freaked me out, I thought they were having a seizure or reaction to something. [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Dustbathing, extra cute when the chicks do it. [​IMG]

ETA: Why not offer them a real dustbath? Some potting soil (plain), maybe some fireplace ash, sand and/or DE in a large pan. They'll make a mess, but they'll love it.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  6. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    Quote:I think I will. mamma is out of town for the weekend, so she can't argue about dirt in the house, plus I know how to work the vac when they're done [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by