1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My peeps have arrived!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChrissyNC, Apr 14, 2007.

1. ChrissyNC

ChrissyNC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2007
    Richlands, NC
    I know, I know, everyone posts pics of their babies, but I can't help myself, they are SO CUTE!!! Got them first thing this morning, all arrived alive from Ideal. I ordered 12 and they shipped 20. My Marine hubby is planning on naming them Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta and so on, as soon as we can figure out who's who.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Beautiful mix of colors there! Did you buy an assortment or grab bag type of package?

They should be a lot of fun to identify their breeds as they mature! I think that was one of my favorite things to do when I got a new batch of peeps was figuring out which was what!

I hope Mike, Charlie, Oscar, Papa and Romeo are roosters! Same thing for poor Juliet! Sounds like you will run out of peeps before Victor though, so no worries there!

Tell your hubby SEMPER FI for me! [​IMG]

3. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    ChrissyNc,

They are adorable! And they look so alert!!

I had a couple of questions for you: Before we purchased our chicks at the feed store, I was going to mail-order, but most places had a min limit of 25 (which I DO understand.. given the cold weather). So.. you said you ordered 12, but got 20. Did you have to pay for 12 or 20? I'm asking because when I calculated it all up, and kept in mind that we would get TWICE as many chicks as we wanted, it was going to cost me three times more ($90 vs $21.90, to be exact) for the 12 through mail order as the feed store was charging, although MUCH better selection [​IMG]. Just wondering about your experience.

Good luck with your babies!! They look like a great group! Love the eyeliner!

-Me

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  4. Unbridled

Unbridled Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2007
    Moses Lake, WA
    I also got my order from Ideal this morning, all my chicks were dead, I ordered 10 Old English Bantams, on the invoice they said they added males for warmth but there were no extra chicks in the box, They said some one didnt do there job, so I have to wait another week for a shipment.[​IMG]

5. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Yup, that HAD to be a mistake. Tragic, but I suppose those things happen in the hustle to get the chicks out on time.

6. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Quote:My order from Ideal is not due to arrive until 4/30- I sooo hope they do not send me 20!! I ordered 10 pullets, and I really don't want to have to re-home or butcher 8-10 roo's. UGH!

Congrats on your new chicks- very cute!

Queen- you do not have to pay for the chicks they add in for warmth. Nor do they add any addt.'l shipping or anything of the sort. They add the extra roo's to help insure the chicks you purchased arrive alive. Not a bad deal really, if you can sell, re-home, or want to butcher the extras.

7. ChrissyNC

ChrissyNC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2007
    Richlands, NC
    Quote:I paid for 12. They shorted me a partridge silkie, and gave me four extra buff orphs and three males included for warmth. I was going to call Ideal on the short silkie, but figure they must have been trying to make up with it in orphs. Either way, my hubby is so excited about eating 8 birds now, it's a little disturbing.

I ordered a range of babies since I couldn't make up my mind on what breed I liked most. This is my first try at chickens, so figure I might as well get five different breeds and see which ones I like. There are two Ameracaunes, 8 buff Orphigtons, 2 Black Australorps, 3 Partridge Silkies, 2 Gold Laced Wyandottes, and then 3 whatever they are extra males. All of them survived the night, seem to be healthy and happy this morning. Though I did wake up to this.....
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by