My Pekin duck has been sitting on her nest...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by swilson88, Nov 22, 2013.

1. swilson88

swilson88 New Egg

Nov 22, 2013
    I have a Pekin duck that has been sitting on her nest for going on 3 weeks now. There is a male Magpie in the same pen as her and I don't know if the eggs are going to be fertile or not. How do I tell? I've been told that Pekin ducks can be very broody so I just want to be sure.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What a cute mix that would be, [​IMG] have you ever candled an egg? I'll get you a link that shows you what to look for and at brooding for 3 weeks I'd say they are getting close so you should be able to tell easy, do you have an LED flash light or another strong flash light>? if so find a dark closet I use my feed room take an egg out from under your duck go into the dark area and put the fat end of the egg up to the flash light shining the light in if you close the egg and light into you hand you can see into the egg better[ takes a bit of practice] what your doing is letting the fat end kind of sit on the hand as you hold the flash light. take a crayon or pencil and put a small mark on the egg so when you go to get another egg you know the ones you have already candled. Hope you see ducklings [​IMG]http://wildliferehabber.com/sites/default/files/wr_duckeggchart.jpg
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750122/share-your-candling-pics-and-videos

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  3. swilson88

swilson88 New Egg

Nov 22, 2013
    Thank you so much! I checked 7 of them, and all 7 I checked look like around day 24's picture. Thank you!!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    wow exciting, let us know when hatch begins!!

5. swilson88

swilson88 New Egg

Nov 22, 2013
    I will :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by