My Pekin duck not doing very well.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by marko10500, Dec 26, 2014.

1. marko10500

marko10500 New Egg

Dec 26, 2014
    I have a 6 Pekin ducks and one got a sickness that looked like early botulism but i don't think is. We kept that duck inside feeding her regular amounts of food and giving her regular amounts of water. She was better in two days and we let her back outside. Two days later another one got it. We took him inside and fed him normal amounts of water. This is the second day of him being sick and tonight he started flopping his head all around and flapping his wings. He was acting really crazy. He is fine now but he is breathing fast. It seems like he is exhaling more than he is inhaling which cant be a good thing. I looked around for videos on them breathing because I have never paid attention to them breathing. I don't know if this is normal. He isnt looking two good right now but much better than when he was flopping his head around everywhere. I think he might be dying so you have to help me keep him alive. I need to know what to do with him to keep him alive. It looks much like what the other duck had but alot worse. Please Help.

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    There might not be anything you can do, but you can do the best you can do, and that is all. Botulism is uncommon here where I am at this time, but in warmer weather is can happen. Botulism I'm pretty certain is almost always fatal, so let's assume that you are not dealing with that. I always like to begin with nutrition, Vitamin B supplements (Sav-A-Chick or Niacin into the drinking water), and a good feed. From there, look at environment to make certain you aren't dealing with any toxins. Good luck, keep on keeping on, and I hope your duck improves soon.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  4. marko10500

marko10500 New Egg

Dec 26, 2014
    He survived and is back in the lake. I found out he had botulism and two more have died from it including the one that I said had a mild case. We are taking care of the botulism issue in the lake and are trying to remove it but we can't remove it all so I am wondering if I am gonna have to keep them in my actual yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by