My Pekin Ducks, Actually Arnt Pekins At All....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by xxSonja, Jan 10, 2010.

1. xxSonja

xxSonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    Apparently they are White Bantam Mallards... Interesting... I mean i didnt buy them as Pekins, they came from a previous work collegue, and i just fell in love with them, it didnt matter to me what breed they were. They are just pets and i dont intend on breeding them, they are now just going on 4 months old, i just wanna know more about their true breed.
    I know the basics and such on caring for my three pet duckies but i'm not the most knowledgable, so what really are the diffrences between Pekins & Mallards?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

pekins are big and mallards are tiny. my pekin is like twice the size of my mallard, at LEAST...

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

They are from the family Cutecuc Duckidus (Latin,I think) [​IMG]

4. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Mallards can fly, pekins will try but don't go very high or far [​IMG] and as said, pekins are a big heavy duck, and yours will stay small. Have fun with them!! You can also give them a shallow pool to take baths in... If not, your water bowl will be on double duty [​IMG]

5. pishposh

pishposh Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2009
    westminster, md
    whatever they are...they are super cute! [​IMG]

6. xxSonja

xxSonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Australia
    Well im lucky then size wise, as they already boss my poor lil old jack russell about so if they got much bigger he'd be in real trouble lol
    [​IMG]
    As for flying, they attempt it, but they never really get off the ground.. its more like a crazy flapping run as fast as possible across the yard all together kinda thing, its hilarious! ive only seen the little one Sheldon get off the ground once when she jumped off the small ledge of the pool, she was in the air for all of about 3 seconds..
    Since i had ignorantly assumed they were pekins and couldnt fly, i haven't clipped their wings [​IMG] - guess that will be ontop of my To Do list tomorrow...
    I think i spoil them a lil bit.. between the three of them they have 2 paddle pools, plus two decent sized water dishes (i say decent sized coz i often find Mranson (my bigger drake) just chillaxing in one [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]

7. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    I thought my white muscovy was a pekin until the kind folks here on BYC informed me otherwise [​IMG]

By that point I had already adopted another (real) Pekin and couldn't figure out why the acted so different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by